Monday, November 08, 2004

SINGALONG #7 --- APOLOGIES TO LEE GREENWOOD

EDITOR’S NOTE: I honestly believe the original version of this song is a GREAT song. As much as I might make fun of the song at times, I admire Lee Greenwood for making no bones about his feeling for this great nation of ours. At the same time, I find myself disgusted at the way the right wing seems to have taken the song on and tried to make it into the new national anthem (like they’ve done with their co-opting of Christianity, NASCAR, chewing tobacco, the banjo, and many other good things… sigh…) Thus, with honest, sincere apologies to Mr. Greenwood:

GOD BLESS THE G.O.P. by Dick Wormwood
(to the tune of “God Bless The U.S.A.”, words by Snave, music by Lee Greenwood.)

Now it looks like all the things are gone I've worked for all my life,
And I have to start again with just my children and my wife.
I'd thank my lucky stars if I was workin' here today,
But Bush and Cheney came along and they took my job away.

But I'm PROUD to be a Republican where at least I know I'm free.
And I still believe the men who lied, 'bout the tax cuts bein' for me.
And I'll gladly stand up next to Bush, ‘cause he’s what I’d like to be.
'Cause there ain't no doubt I love that lout! God bless the GOP!

From the white trash fields of ‘Bama, to the hills of Tennessee,
Across the plains of Kansas, down to Branson proud and free,
From New Orleans down to Houston, and from Sioux Falls to KC
Well, there's Red in every American heart, and the commie libs should see…

That I'm PROUD to be a Republican where I know that I’m not gay.
And I won't forget the men who lie, and who tell me what to say.
And I'll gladly stand up next to Bush, he's the same as God to me.
'Cause there ain't no doubt I love that lout*! God bless the GOP!

* - Bush, that is.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lizzy said...

Wow! You've been a busy blogger, Snave. Thanks for all the great (updated) songs and groovy pics! : )

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

RichardDawkins.net