Monday, April 04, 2005

A TRUE STORY

Here in northeastern Oregon, the majority of people vote Republican. It's usually like Idaho, where the GOP candidates win Senate and Congressional races by about a 3-1 margin. La Grande isn't quite so bad because we have a state college... it usually runs about 55-45 here.

The high school has a political message board in the "commons", or lunchroom area. Not all students at the high school tend toward the Republican party, and some like to stimulate political discussions.

One student put up a poster with two columns: "Things I love about George W. Bush" and "Things I hate about George W. Bush". Fellow students were encouraged to write their comments on the poster. Our band's bass player has a son who is a senior in high school this year. The kid has a great sense of humor. The poster's "love" column wasn't getting as many responses as the "hate" column, so he put a remark in each one.

His "love" column remark: "I love his shoes."

In the "hate" column: "I hate his feet."

There is hope for today's youth, even in "red-state" rural areas!

3 Comments:

Blogger Sheryl said...

For some reason I would have thought Oregon would be a blue state. You always hear about how cool Portland is supposed to be. Plus I have known some rather liberal people who have moved to that state.

Of course, with all the elections being rigged these days, I suppose they will all be red states before long.

We went to Devine, Texas today to take my mom's car over to the dealer she bought it from for repairs and some recall issue. Anyway, here we were in this rural, small Texas city at this steak restaurant. They were selling bumper stickers in the lobby, and they all struck me as liberal (considering the current political climate.)

Like I used to dislike the anti-government bumper stickers, but the one that said "I love my country. It's my government that scares me" takes on a different spin going into the 5th year of republican control. I find it reassuring that rural Texans are feeling the same way.

12:56 AM  
Blogger Snave said...

I'm glad Oregon has Lane COunty (Eugene) and Multnomah County (Portland). If not for those two counties, the state would have been red. Multnomah County has a large chunk of the state's population, and it usually goes about 2-1 Democrat. Portland is definitely a very cool city. The suburbs are more likely to go GOP, although it is never a slam dunk for the Republicans. The only places that is a sure thing are the counties east of the Cascade Range (like the county I live in) and other counties outside the Willamette Valley (Portland, Eugene, Salem).

10:43 AM  
Blogger Snave said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

RichardDawkins.net