Tuesday, April 26, 2005

WISE WORDS FROM A REPUBLICAN

"Whether or not the United States views itself as an empire, it is obvious that for many foreigners and international critics, we look, walk and talk like one and they have responded accordingly.
"An empire that displays weakness and is not taken seriously is in serious trouble. However, being perceived as capricious or imperious is also dangerous. The problem has often occurred when an imperial power insists on imposing a particular vision on the world.
"It seems to me that in fighting the global war against terrorism, we need to restrain what are growing U.S. messianic instincts – a sort of global social engineering where the United States feels it is both entitled and obligated to promote democracy – by force if necessary."

-- Sen. Pat Roberts (R-KS), May 3, 2004

I never imagined I might agree with a Republican Senator from Kansas on anything, but I think these are pretty smart words. I wonder how many other people from the Republican party agree with what he says, and if there is some way those GOP leaders who agree could break ranks with the Theocons and make themselves heard.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jim Marquis said...

Hey, I love that word Theocons. Is that a Snave original?

8:52 PM  
Blogger Snave said...

No, but I wish I was creative enough to have created it! I don't even remember where I first heard or saw the word. But I think it fits that group of people who are currently running the country.

6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

RichardDawkins.net