Sunday, September 04, 2005

I CAN SEE YOUR HOUSE FROM HERE!


To quote the title of an old album from way back by a not-too-well-known band called Camel (and another album by the same title, which featured guitarist Pat Metheny) : "I Can See Your House From Here"! Above is a picture of the town in which I live. If you go to Google Earth, you can see what your area looks like from eight or ten miles up, or even higher than that!

I typed in my street address and it zoomed right in, although it was blurry. The close-ups are usually low-resolution, probably so the thing can't be used as a tool by terrorists. But it's a pretty fascinating tool!

If you haven't been to Google Earth yet, it's a blast! Go to http://earth.google.com/ and see for yourself!

6 Comments:

Blogger GTX said...

Greetings, Snave!
I know CAMEL (a band based on keys instruments, a little like TRIUMVIRAT or EMMERSON LAKE & PALMER) and Pat Metheny I like it, all right. I just couldn't read your city name. Anyway, that's incredible but there's a website where you can actually see your HOUSE... (unfortunately I don't know where, 'cause someone only told me that).
ALAN PARSON'S PROJECT (I'm the eye in the sky) if I'm not wrong
JUDAS PRIEST (Electric Spy) if I'm not wrong

6:45 AM  
Blogger 1138 said...

Plain old Google maps does this also and doesn't require you install software.
They've anded a nice hybrid feature that lets you combine the imagery with the map that really makes it a killer app.

Thanks again for joining us at Good Company.

J. Marquis are you interested in joining us?

1:38 PM  
Blogger Damien said...

i'll wait until they start using sub-millimetre rez. Ummm looking forward to hours of seaching the coastlines.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Lizzy said...

Google Earth, like everything Google does, kicks ass.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Snave said...

M, I am in La Grande, Oregon. It is in the northeastern corner of the state.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Sheryl said...

Paul tried to find my house, but he the only pic he sent that even looked remotely familiar was for the whole street. I didn't see our house at all.

It's a 2.5 acre lot though, so it should be there somewhere. X-)

We keep getting mail addressed to Pool Owner at XXXX Verbena Street, so someone must be looking down on our property, unless they got it from the Tax Appraisal authority.

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

RichardDawkins.net