Friday, April 20, 2007

MY LATE-MAY FIELD TRIP!!! (YEAH, I'M BRAGGING!)



This is a picture of The Gorge Amphitheatre. I will be going there to the Sasquatch Festival with my daughter Katie and a friend of hers in late May. The excursion will be a high-school graduation gift of sorts for the two of them. Katie was desperate to go because a couple of her favorite artists are playing there, and her friend's parents wanted an adult along... but I didn't mind saying "yes!" because I absolutely love some of the music we will be hearing. I was more than willing to "chaperone". Here are some of the artists we will see:



Interpol, looking cool as always.



The Arcade Fire, who will hopefully play their great new CD "Neon Bible" in its entirety!



Beautiful music from the pefectly beautiful Neko Case!



A massively talented band from New York, The Hold Steady! I think they really put things together with their most recent CD.



Bring on the narcissistic slackers... I love the Dandy Warhols!!



I haven't heard a lot by Spoon, but I like their songs that were heard in the recent movie "Stranger Than Fiction". I'll be interested in hearing them!



Katie and I have CDs by Electrelane, the all-female band that knows how to play some pretty cool stuff. They are one of her favorite bands. Here is another of Katie's favorite artists, northwest singer-songwriter Mirah:



So who else is playing at this two-day event? Well, the headliners are Bjork, and The Beastie Boys... I don't particularly care about either act, but I'm sure they will still be fun and interesting. Other artists at the festival include M.I.A., Citizen Cope, Grizzly Bear, Manu Chao and Radio Bemba Sound System, Two Gallants, Ghostland Observatory, The Slip, Loney Dear, Aqueduct, The Thermals (I've seen them before, they're a great young punk band), Viva Voce, The Blow, Gabriel Teodros, Michael Franti and Spearhead, Bad Brains (a classic band, for sure), Ozomatli, The Black Angels (they play cool stuff), Tokyo Police Club, Money Mark, St. Vincent, Jessy Sykes and the Sweet Hereafter, Smoosh, Common Market, Helio Sequence (they are a good group) and Minus The Bear.

So you've never heard (or heard of) very many of those bands? Me neither!! But heck, that will be half the fun. The show runs from noon until midnight or so on each of the two days. I am guessing there will be 5-6 acts per day that will get to be on the main stage, and then there will be others who'll get to play on small stages set a ways from the Amphitheatre.

I am pretty sure my back will be able to hold up for the entire event. Things seem to be healing nicely at this point, I'm walking a mile to a mile and a half a day, and I don't really seem to need the painkillers anymore (dang!)... 8-)> I will probably get myself a lightweight lawnchair, one of those that you can carry around on your back like a daypack.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate. I have been to some shows at The Gorge when it gets to be 50 degrees or lower, plus rainy... But I can handle (and have handled) crummy weather conditions there on occasion in order to see Steely Dan, Tom Petty, Van Morrison/Joni/Mitchell/Bob Dylan, The Who, Patti Smith/Neil Young & Crazy Horse, and Foreigner/Journey (hey, that last one was for my wife Kit, as her musical tastes run that direction... although I have to admit Journey guitarist Neal Schon was fantastic!)

I urge any and all of you who live in (or anywhere near) the Pacific Northwest (and all of you who are far away too!) to come check out a show sometime at The Gorge. It is one of my favorite venues of all time. Let me know if you ever do decide to go there, and maybe I can drive up and meet you (it's about a 3 1/2 hour drive from where I live). There are plenty of places to stay within an hour's drive of the venue if you book a few months in advance. For this event, I got a couple of motel rooms, one for the kids and one for me, about 45 minutes from The Gorge. If you do go there, I'd suggest you not bother with staying at the campground... It is impossible to get any sleep with all the addled partiers running around all night, and the outhouses usually get to the "overload" point!

I know, I had to put some reference to POOP in there someplace, didn't I!

Anyway, I look forward to being one of the oldest people at the show, and having what may well be the grayest hair of any attendees! I will survive my encounter with Sasquatch, and I will love it!

9 Comments:

Blogger Jim Marquis said...

I am extremely jealous. Hey, I even like the Beastie Boys and Bjork (though I have no idea what they'd be like live). You'll have to give us full review after the show!

7:38 AM  
Blogger Candace said...

Your daughter is a very lucky girl to have such a cool dad. Rock on.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Sheryl said...

I'm with Candace. That's so wonderful that you and Katie can do things like that together and both be excited about it. :-) I hope you both have a total blast!!!

9:58 AM  
Blogger Handsome B. Wonderful said...

Have fun at the show...have you ever been to Red Rocks amphitheater here in Colorado? It's a good place for a concert too. I look forward to your "after action report." :)

10:21 AM  
Blogger Snave said...

Thanks for the kind comments, and yes, after the show I WILL give a report, including pictures.

James, I would love to see a show at Red Rocks. I have never heard a bad thing said about it as a venue, and I have checked out some pictures. Looks pretty cool! My cousin lived in Boulder for a while and said she had gone to some shows at Red Rocks, and that it was "magical".

10:50 AM  
Blogger Mandelbrot's Chaos said...

I wish I was there. Then again, if I were right now, then I'd be in a strange town with a stomach bug, instead of at home with a stomach bug. Bah, whether I'd be miserable at home or miserable away, I'd still be miserable, and at least this way I'm not paying $80 a night for the experience. lol

2:50 PM  
Blogger PoliShifter said...

Damn. I wish I could go. I had never heard of this venue before until this post.

I love Bjork and would like to see her.

I think if you get the chance to hear her you will be impressed. She has an unrivled set of pipes.

It's awesome that you are staying in touch with the music and willing to take your daughter to this show.

Looks like a lot of good music will be happening.

Now I'm looking at my calendar and wondering to myself if there is a way...

Hope you have fun! Sounds like a blast.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Snave said...

I may be getting close to geezerhood, but I do love to keep up with what's new. I still like a lot of the stuff I grew up listening to in the mid-60's to early 80's, but there is a lot of it I just don't care to hear anymore... I tend to find much of the newer music invigorating, particularly that which is on independent record labels. It seems to me like radio has simply become corporate to the core... In ancient times, like when I was in college, there used to be a couple of "album-rock" stations fans could listen to, and the DJs would play not just hit songs, but other tracks off the artists' albums. The music was often experimental in nature. Nowadays, a certain sound has been decided on as popular, and rock and roll isn't what makes it into the Top 40 very much anymore. The Sasquatch Festival should be a weekend of pure, unadulterated rock and roll music, and I am sure much of it will be performed by people with a "up yours" attitude toward major record labels.

Polishifter, if you can figure out a way to make it... let me know, and I'll see ya there!

9:29 PM  
Blogger Elvez73 said...

Oh man that sounds fun, I stayed at a lodge last year when I was out there that was really close to the Gorge and right on the river, absolutely stunning. I am so jealous, Neko Case is amazing, what a lineup man, you guys enjoy!

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

RichardDawkins.net