Friday, February 27, 2009

STILL SMOKIN'

(picture found at http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.tnt-audio.com/).

This is just a brief post to let anyone who is interested know that I think the new JJ Cale release "Roll On" is worth your time, particularly if you are a Cale fan.

Long known as someone whose songs get recorded by other people and turned into hits, or maybe as a semi-obscure recorder of Okie stoner-shuffle tunes, he has now reached the ripe old age of 70... but he hasn't slowed down. In fact, he sounds as fresh as ever!

Check out the track "Where the Sun Don't Shine". Classic Cale.

Or the lyrics to "Fonda-Lina", which almost has a sort of disco/dance feel to it... more classic stuff.
Eric Clapton guests nicely on the title track.

JJ Cale isn't breaking any new ground here, but he doesn't have to. His rise to "legendary" status has been long and gradual, but he is there. He is a legend. Check out "Roll On" and see if you don't agree!

6 Comments:

Blogger jmsjoin said...

I have never heard of him but if he is in any way associated with Clapton he has to be good. I will see if I can check him out, Thanks!

4:25 PM  
Blogger jmsjoin said...

Yhep that is good!
Cale and Clapton "After Midnight"

4:30 PM  
Blogger Randal Graves said...

I honestly didn't know he was still making music. Guess they call my brain the breeze!

7:11 AM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

I didn't know he was still alive and kickin' either. I don't remember many of his songs. All I can think of at the moment is After Midnight -- his own version and Clapton's.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Carlos said...

I've liked J.J. Cale since around 1976. I always thought it was a shame he never received the recognition he deserved.

4:51 AM  
Blogger Terence Towles Canote said...

I didn't even know he had anything new out!

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

RichardDawkins.net