Wednesday, August 17, 2005

FUN WITH DUBYA


Thanks to Fred from Truth Serum for mentioning this Bush quote:

"But whether it be here or in Washington or anywhere else, there's somebody who has got something to say to the President, that's part of the job," he said on Saturday. "And I think it's important for me to be thoughtful and sensitive to those who have got something to say. But I think it's also important for me to go on with my life, to keep a balanced life."

Does this mean that he doesn't consider people who disagree with his policies part of his life? Just wondering.

Here are some more, from sources such as http://www.dubyaspeak.com/ and others:

"I grieve for every death. It breaks my heart to think about a family weeping over the loss of a loved one. I understand the anguish that some feel about the death that takes place."
Crawford, Texas, Aug. 11, 2005

Only understands the anguish that "some" feel? Which people are those?

Bush once observed "There are more Americans in our nation today than ever before", so the next quote could follow that train of thought, couldn't it?

"More Americans are working today than ever before in our nation's history."
Albuquerque, New Mexico, Aug. 8, 2005

I have a hard time arguing with those assertions.

"The war on terror goes on. I was most impressed by the resolve of all the leaders in the room. Their resolve is as strong as my resolve."
Auchterarder, Scotland, Jul. 7, 2005

Does this mean that other leaders have finally come up to his high level?

"I spent some time recently with the Prime Minister, Tony Blair, and had an opportunity to express our heartfelt condolences to the people of London, people who lost lives."
Auchterarder, Scotland, Jul. 7, 2005

I'm sure he meant to say "people who lost loved ones".... otherwise, Bush is able to speak to the dead.

"It's in our country's interests to find those who would do harm to us and get them out of harm's way."
Prime Time Press Conference, White House, Apr. 28, 2005

This shows that Bush does care about the welfare of all human beings, even those who would want all of us Americans dead! He must want to get them out of harm's way before we can kill them! Heeheehee

QUESTION: Can we win [the war on terrorism]?
DUBYA: I don't think you can win it. But I think you can create conditions so that the -- those who use terror as a tool are -- less acceptable in parts of the world.
Aug. 30, 2004

Well, so that settles that! We CAN'T win the war on terrorism. And that's straight from the horse's mouth!

"It's a different kind of war than we're used to in America. It's a war that requires patience and focus."
Mar. 4, 2003

So the first and second World Wars, Korea, Vietnam and Gulf War I lacked patience and focus? I guess we had to wait for GWB to come along before America could wage war with patience and focus?

"I've not made up our mind about military action."
White House, Mar. 6, 2003

I'm awfully glad Bush controls our minds.

"Border relations between Canada and Mexico have never been better."
Washington, D.C., Sep. 24, 2001

"We spent a lot of time talking about Africa, and we should. Africa is a nation that suffers from incredible disease."
Warsaw, Poland, Jun. 15, 2001

"Vice President mentioned Nigeria is a fledgling democracy. We have to work with Nigeria. That's an important continent."
Presidential debate, Winston-Salem, North Carolina, Oct. 11, 2000

Crack open an atlas once in a while, George.

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."
Sep. 29, 2000

Our Cold War against nature continues.

"There is a baby boomer generation getting ready to retire. I'm pretty aware of that. I am one."
Mar. 10, 2005

Yes, he is an entire generation unto himself!

"I'm also running [for re-election] because I want to keep us -- I want to enable us to be the innovative society that we are."
May 3, 2004

Not higher than we are now? I'm glad to know Bush likes us just the way we are.

"The world is more peaceful and more free under my leadership.
Oct. 28, 2003

He rules the world with truth and grace, and makes the nations prove
The glories of His righteousness,
And wonders of His love, And wonders of His love,
And wonders, wonders, of His love.

"Sometimes when I sleep at night I think of "Hop on Pop."
Apr. 2, 2002

Me too, Dubya! Me too!

12 Comments:

Blogger Tom Harper said...

LOL. Some great Bushisms.

11:29 PM  
Blogger Lizzy said...

You nailed him.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Mandelbrot's Chaos said...

Yes, Bush is inarticulate. I got that memo five years ago when I voted for him for the first time. Furthermore, I was fully aware of that the second time I voted for him last year. So what? As long as there's a former Klansman in the Senate, there are bigger problems with our leadership.

5:05 AM  
Blogger Snave said...

Bush being inarticulate may indeed represent some kind of problem with leadership. I think that when he is inarticulate, he reveals some of his inner character... maybe that he is self-absorbed, he isn't curious about things, or maybe he just doesn't care very much about that of which he attempts to speak (or of the manner in which he is attempting to express it).

Oh yeah, Robert Byrd... the opposition does love to bring him up. I have to say that while Robert Byrd may still be a member of the U.S. Senate, Dubya is the president of the United States. Byrd, who does indeed have a represhensible past, is not the POTUS (i.e. "leader of the free world"). I don't know about you, but I find that to be a major difference in their positions of leadership. Granted, they are both in leadership roles, and while Byrd may be near the top, Bush is AT the top.

As long as we have Bush (who seems to enjoy being a "war president") in the White House, I think it represents a much larger problem for our country (and for the entire world) at this time than having a reformed Klansman in the U.S. Senate. Byrd's high level of leadership in the past is somewhat troublesome. Byrd did participate in the early 1940's, and defended the KKK to some extent in 1958 (47 years ago when he was 41)... thus if we're talking about "youthful indiscretions", Byrd's occurred at about the same time of life as Henry Hyde's. Byrd did filibuster the Civil Rights act of 1964, but I like to believe that his opposition to the appointment of Clarence Thomas to the Supreme Court in 1991 (27 years later) was based more on Thomas' judicial record than on skin color.

Anyway, I think that if one looks at the larger world picture, Bush may represent more of a problem for world peace right now than Byrd does. And as the world becomes more of an interconnected community, I think it is essential to look at that bigger picture, in which I have to believe Bush is a larger player than Byrd.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Damien said...

The latest bushism, pretty sure this one is legit -

"the french have no word for
entrepreneur "

4:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is why I love your site. . . just wanted to let you know that I came by.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Mandelbrot's Chaos said...

Well, Byrd was still an ex-Klansman when Clinton was in office, and he was still an ex-Klansman when the Democrats controlled both houses of Congress. The thing I find the most appalling about him is that he purports to be a champion of minority rights, and the left brings him out when they need a convenient toady, and he's still a f***ing ex-Klansman. As far as I'm concerned, the Democrats may as well have David Duke as one of their spokespersons.

As far as Bush, we'll have to agree to disagree. While I disagree with some of his policy, most notably his ideas for Social Security reform, and I think he mishandled the waging of the Second Gulf War, but all in all, I think he will have left the world better than he found it when he leaves office. Sometimes, it is necessary to do unpopular things to improve the world, and I think that's what he's doing in Iraq, even if he did so in an ass-backwards way. Bush even managed to get halfhearted support from the very left-leaning magazine Der Spiegel when they wondered if the opinion of Bush's handling of Iraq in 20 years would be like the opinion of Reagan's handling of the Cold War.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Snave said...

It's interesting to see how perturbed some of us can get by the posting of simple Bushisms, but oh well. Are those who don't like the Bushisms or my snide responses to them thinking pretty highly of the POTUS, and might they be fairly die-hard Republicans at heart?

"As far as I'm concerned, the Democrats may as well have David Duke as one of their spokespersons."

David Duke? LOL! The GOP had Senator Jesse Helms in powerful Senate positions for how many years? And Senator Strom Thurmond? Sure, they may have been smart enough to stay out of the KKK while Byrd was not that bright in his youth, but we all know where Helms and Thurmond stood on the issue of race relations. And while we are on that topic, Bush himself even went to the racist, homophobic Bob Jones University to pander to the racist and homophobic voters! He needed some kind of trump card after his primary loss in New Hampshire in 2000, and he was in a race with McCain for the nomination at that point... so what better way to show his true colors than to go to Bob Jones U... sigh... The GOP can have David Duke, he's more their style.

I consider Byrd's past involvement in the KKK to be a sad thing; I also believe his past participation represents an anomaly in the Democratic leadership. I think the GOP has a far greater history of racism and homophobia than the Dems do during the past 50-60 years.

"I think he mishandled the waging of the Second Gulf War"

Isn't he still mishandling it? I thought it was still going on! 8-)> Sorry, I couldn't resist!

I highly doubt that Bush will leave the world in a better place when he leaves office. I would revise that assertion to say simply that "the world will be a better place when he leaves office". I believe that with the invasion of Iraq, Bush served to alienate our country more than he earned the trust of other nations. Again, I think PNAC-style foreign policy will do nothing to advance the cause of world peace, but may in fact end up making things worse.

You are right MC, we will have to agree to disagree. You can keep bringing up Robert Byrd if you like, but I don't believe the fact that he is still in the U.S. Senate makes me a hypocrite for voting for Democratic candidates. If it does make me a hypocrite, then maybe those who didn't like Bush going to Bob Jones U., or who don't like things Thurmond and Helms have said or done... shouldn't vote for Republicans.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Snave said...

An addendum: when GWB was at Bob Jones University in early 2000, this is what he said: "I look forward to publicly defending our conservative philosophy." He said he would seek "compassionate results". I'll give him a little bit of credit in that he did criticize the school's racial policies, but this was not during during his speech and not directly to BJU students. It was after the speech.

I don't believe this actually illustrates that Bush is racist, but I do think it shows that like many politicians, to depths to which he will stoop to get votes is... well... an abyss.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Jim Marquis said...

"While I disagree with some of his policy, most notably his ideas for Social Security reform, and I think he mishandled the waging of the Second Gulf War, but all in all, I think he will have left the world better than he found it when he leaves office."

So, MC, what exactly has he accomplished? We have a huge deficit, no real immigration policy, no real Global Warming policy, gas prices are going through the roof and so is the price of healthcare. It's like the country has been stuck in traffic for almost five years.

But hey, we did get some brush cleared in Crawford!

8:43 PM  
Blogger 1138 said...

I came to praise you for your clever lampoonining of an American Retard and instead found this...

""While I disagree with some of his policy, most notably his ideas for Social Security reform, and I think he mishandled the waging of the Second Gulf War, but all in all, I think he will have left the world better than he found it when he leaves office.""

Demonstrating that the infectious agent causing the retardation has apparently breached the quarentine of the Texas pig ranch and the Washington annex.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Snave said...

1138, glad you like the lampooning. As for the quote you mention, I didn't write that one.

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

RichardDawkins.net