Monday, January 09, 2006

I'VE BEEN TAGGED, AND I AM WEIRD!

I've been meme-tagged or whatever it's called, by Matt of Cerulean Blue! I am supposed to list five weird things about myself... there are plenty... so here goes.

1. I ONCE PLAYED ON THE DEFENDING NATIONAL CHAMPION KORFBALL TEAM. While I was at the University of Oregon, I played this wonderful game for a season. We didn't win the national title the year I played, but we had a blast. This IS a real sport, and you can check it out at http://www.korfball.com/ .

2. I MAILED GROSS STUFF TO A FRIEND. A friend and I once had a "gross-out by mail" contest, in which we tried to outdo each other by mailing things like a flattened road-killed golden mantled ground squirrel, a used catheter, rotting items from each of the five food groups, etc. My friend even dressed the ground squirrel as Santa... I dressed it as a Halloween witch on a broom.

3. MY WIFE AND I PLAY A RIDICULOUSLY SILLY GAME. When we first bought a car seat for Kelly about 19 years ago, there was a life-sized picture of a baby in the carseat. We have kept this "baby" ever since, and 5-10 times a year we hide it in places we know the other will find it.

4. I ONCE THREW UP ON ABOUT 30 PEOPLE AT ONCE. I was in 9th grade, coming back home to La Grande with the school baseball team. I was in one of the very front seats. All the windows behind me were open! Har har! Those poor folks behind me bore the brunt of my sick stomach. Anyway, I used to have a problem with carsickness when I was a teenager.

5. I HAVE HAD A STRANGE DISEASE THAT IS RARE FOR ADULTS TO GET. When I was in grad school I very nearly died from a condition usually contracted only by people under the age of 10. It's called Henoch Schonlein Purpura, and it tends to follow a strep infection, which was what happened in my case. It causes small blood vessels to become inflamed and capillaries to rupture in the skin, bowels and kidneys, which in turn causes internal bleeding. My kidneys were affected. As a result of having the disease, my blood pressure has been borderline high ever since, causing me to have to take medication. Here are the symptoms and physical characteristics, of which I had ALL: rash, especially involving the legs; subcutaneous edema, abdominal pain and vomiting; joint pain especially involving knees and ankles; scrotal edema, bloody stools; edema of the hands, feet, scalp, and ears; arthritis, most commonly involving the knees and ankles; abdominal tenderness, gastrointestinal bleeding and acute scrotal edema that may mimic testicular torsion. I got this in 1982 when AIDS was starting up, and the docs couldn't figure out what I had. After three days of hospitalization that included having to continually deny having been involved in gay sex and having myself stuck with needles about a hundred times, they figured out what I had, and that it would eventually go away... but I lost about 30 pounds in 3 weeks, lost a fair amount of blood, lost a term of college, and was hospitalized twice for a total of 12 days. And to top it off, when I was in the hospital the escond time they put me in an isolation ward, where I contracted chicken pox... talk about insult to injury!

OTHER ODD OR VAGUELY INTERESTING THINGS:

- I ONCE SAT NEXT TO KEN KESEY FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS at a Grateful Dead show, and NEVER KNEW IT WAS HIM until later. He was a fun guy to b.s. with!

- I am not a drummer, but once played publicly for a couple of hours because a band's drummer didn't show. I was terrible and I was drunk, but the bar patrons were too drunk to notice or care.

- Agnostic-approaching-atheist Snave was a church youth-group leader when he was 19, and was seriously wanting to become a minister at that time.

- And, as you probably already know, I am a liberal Democrat living in an area rife with C.C.C. (Cowboy Christian Culture). Talk about weird... !

I now have to "tag" a few people, so I will tag these five:

J.Marquis of Are We There Yet?

Lizzy the OCD Gen-X Liberal

Damein of Couch Warfare

MC of Mandelbrot's Order From Chaos

Donald McFarlane of Cancer of the Third Eye

6 Comments:

Blogger Gunga Dan said...

My God, you have lived a remarkable life, my friend! The roadkill thing is majorly bizarre, however.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

Grateful Dead...very cool!

10:51 PM  
Blogger Sheryl said...

Nice list, Snave. :-)

1:48 AM  
Blogger Lizzy said...

Weirdly wonderful stuff, Snavaroo.
I'll try to get my list together over the next couple of days.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Damien said...

Ohhh man I gonna have to make mine uber interesting now. Great stuff Snaveroo - grrrr I need some gems.

6:30 PM  
Blogger GTX said...

The fun never ends in these blogs I adore. I'm sorrow I've not much time to blog and comment all of you guys, but I'm glad that its not due to be a workaholic.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

RichardDawkins.net