Saturday, March 04, 2006


I had an eventful past few days!

Wednesday afternoon I drove to Seattle, and that night I stayed as an official housepest at the home of David Downing (author of the fine weblog known as "A Fly On The Sill").

Thursday morning involved a commute to a conference on cochlear implants; it was held at the beautiful Edgewater Inn in downtown Seattle. I learned quite a bit about cochlear implants, and that is a good thing because I will have a deaf student on my speech-language caseload next year; he may be getting his implants this summer.

Thursday night David and I got together with J. Marquis of "Are We There Yet?" If you have been to David's blog lately, you will know more about what we did. I know I won't be a star anytime soon, but it was fun being filmed in lots of dark sepia-toned environments. The requisite drinking, prior to the filming, helped us mightily!

I pried myself out of bed Friday morning and made it to the second day of the conference on time (which required a major effort due to the previous evening's activities). After that was over, I met J. at David's house, we went out for some dinner, and then went downtown to see the Neil Young movie, "Heart of Gold" (a film by Johanthan Demme). I enjoyed it quite a bit... I'll probably write more about it during the next day or two. We found a Tower Records CD shop and spent a good while in there before heading off to J.'s palatial home, where I was greeted by Hank, one of the finest dogs in all of history. He appears to be part yellow lab and part golden retriever, and he has a great smile. Hank has an attractive new cockapoo friend named Tess; she tries his patience, but keeps him active!

Today was another early riser, and I drove four hours from Seattle to Pendleton, a town of about 17,000 people, an hour west of La Grande. I met the rest of my family there so we could watch Katie participate with her school's mock trial team in their district competition this afternoon. Their team won, and they get to go to the state tournament in two weeks from now! Katie was the "star witness", and her team was the defense. She did an excellent job facing tough questions from the prosecuting team. The La Grande group will face tough competition when they go to Portland on March 17, but I have a feeling they will do well! Katie is on cloud nine, to say the least.

Anyway, it is good to be back home.


Blogger J. Marquis said...

Hank and Tess send their regards...they said you're one of the finest people in all of history!

6:03 AM  
Blogger 1138 said...

Sounds like great fun and interesting.
My sister is profoundly deaf, has been since birth and has an aide dog. She was mainstreamed back in 1967 back before there was such a word, at my parents insistence.
A considerable fight for the time and geographic location (Texas) - 95% of the professional community insisted that she should be semi institutionalized.

I would have enjoyed the conference.
I'll visit the fly and waht's up there.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Lizzy said...

Sounds like you has a great time. Maybe someday I can join you guys...if you're ever in Mpls, look me up!

10:03 AM  
Blogger Sheryl said...

I've been surprisingly busy the last few weeks as well. In fact, I am a bit stunned how behind I am in reading your blog. :-(

Certainly not intentionally behind though. Seattle sounds like it must have been a blast. :-)

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home