Saturday, September 26, 2009

STANDARD DEVIATION at EASTERN OREGON UNIVERSITY 9/26/09

We played at Eastern Oregon University on Saturday September 26 for a pre-game "tailgater" party. Pictured above is our new banner. When we play at smaller venues, it will hang from my keyboard. Thanks to Sally Gregory for all these photos!

It was a pretty warm day. It might have only been about 85, but out on the concrete and with no shade, it got pretty darned warm!

Snave rips into some gnarly riffs.

Joel keeps the beat.


Joel and John keep an eye on guitarist Jon, who is off to the right somewhere, undoubtedly laying into a nasty guitar solo!

L to R: Mike Gregory on bass, John Snave Evans on keyboards and singing, Joel Goldstein on drums and singing, and Jon White on guitar!


Hmmm, my brain cells must be a-goin'. I have to have that music stand with the songbook in front of me in order to remember the words to songs, even if I've sung them a thousand times... sigh... Now what did I say my name was? 8-)>
Jon contributes in a major way to what I think is becoming our band's signature sound. He is loads of fun to have in the band! Except for when his solos are so good that the rest of us forget what we're doing! 8-)>

Mike gets better and better on the bass all the time. I don't know if he is aware of how much he has improved since he took up the instrument about five years ago. (Has it really been that long?) He can play pretty much anything he tries nowadays.

This may be one of those songs where I tend to want to speed up. I like being placed right by Joel, because it helps me with the tempo!

Joel is "the rock" of Standard Deviation

This was such a good picture I put it in here twice.

Growlin' and snarlin'

Thumpin' away in grand style

Mike and John

Hmmm, now what kind of guitar is Jon playing? That's right, you don't know, because you have never seen one before! It's one of a kind, created by Jon's brother Dan! And Jon makes it sounds really, really great!

A splendid time was had by all! There aren't any shots of the crowd, which would have been behind Sally and to the right in this picture. I'd guess about 60-90 people were there, enjoying good food and conversation prior to the football game against University of Montana-Northern (which the EOU Mountaineers won 45-14, by the way!)
We will play for another of these pre-game functions on Saturday, October 17.
We are working on some new material, including some original songs by yours truly. Those will be fun! Other songs you might know of that we're working on include "Green Onions" by Booker T. and the MG's, and "I've Got a Line on You" by Spirit.
After the Oct. 17 tailgater, our next job is Thursday December 3 at Ten Depot Street in La Grande. If you live around this area, come on out and hear us sometime!

16 Comments:

Blogger Terence Towles Canote said...

If I ever get out that way, I'll definitely have to see the band. It does sound like you had a good time!

7:16 PM  
Blogger Holte Ender said...

If it wasn't a little matter of about 2500 miles I would stop by a see the band.

Green Onions by Booker T. one of the most played on my iTunes, ranked 11th with 143 plays. (I just checked)

8:19 PM  
Blogger MRMacrum said...

Jesus Man, put some long pants on those white legs. Or hit the tanning booth en masse before the next outdoor gig. I can definitely tell you guys are from the North West and not LA.

Keep it up. Being creative will always keep the mind sharp even if you need cheat sheet to remember the creativity.

12:16 AM  
Blogger Carlos said...

Looks like a beautiful day, and like you guys had a lot of fun!

2:50 AM  
Blogger Randal Graves said...

When are you guys doing a tour of the East Coast?

7:17 AM  
Blogger S.W. Anderson said...

Looks and sounds like a very good time, Snave. The sign is slick, too.

I'd love to come see you play. Unfortunately, the travel budget's shot and then some, and it's a bit far for awhile. Maybe someday.

10:51 AM  
Blogger S.W. Anderson said...

Holte and all, if you enjoy Booker T. check this out. I don't know who he is, but I think he's a terrific musician.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Holte Ender said...

S.W. - Your right that guy looks so stoic but he's got real soul.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Jim Marquis said...

Hey, you guys kind of had matching outfits. You're like a British invasion group!

5:19 PM  
Blogger Snave said...

The deal with the "uniforms" was that the Athletic Director from EOU gave us all free shirts and requested that we wear them while playing... kind of made us look like honorary staff or something, I guess! Heh! I had planned on wearing my feline skull and crossbones shirt, but oh well. It is a shirt with more attitude than the polyester "Eastern Athletics" shirt...

6:40 PM  
Blogger Demeur said...

You should do another internet gig for all us non traveling folks. Loved the last one.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Snave said...

The fellow who did our last webcast has offered to do us another one! He said all we need to do is name the time and the place. Don't know how soon that will be, but I will keep everyone posted!!

2:50 PM  
Blogger Beekeepers Apprentice said...

So when do we get an embedded media player so we can hear some tunes?

4:58 PM  
Blogger Snave said...

Now THAT's a good idea! Our guitarist Jon might know how to get something like that set up. I wouldn't mind putting up some of my home-recorded demos on this site as well.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

We do have some band videos posted on this youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/jondwhite

10:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We have a few college students online from college of Eastern Oregon University and we love your blog postings, so well add your rss or news feed for them, Thanks and please post us and leave a comment back and well link to you. Thanks Jen , Blog Manager Eastern Oregon University.

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

RichardDawkins.net