Friday, December 21, 2012

WE'RE STILL HERE!

WELL...  looks like we survived the Mayan apocalypse.

Seriously, I hardly gave this one a second thought.  I read a couple of books about it a few years ago, and ended up deciding the guys who were carving the calendar got distracted or something and just never finished it.

After some conservative friends and relatives got me thinking "Y2K" was going to plunge us into dark times and I actually stocked up on some food and supplies for THAT, I have pretty much sworn off stuff like "end of the world" prophecies.

A bit after "Y2K" came and went without any major issues, I was diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder and learned that one of the ways it affects me is that I worry about things over which I have little to no control.  I was at the shrink's office one day visiting with him.  He told me to look at the tree outside his office window.  It was a tall fir tree.

He said something to the effect of "If I worried about things the way you do, I would spend a good deal of my time worrying about that tree falling over and hitting my building.  That's a rather absurd idea, because the tree is tall and strong.  I could be waiting for a long, long time.  Is that a useful way for me to spend my time?"

Since that time, I've been able to keep much of the needless worrying in check and focus more on things over which I DO have control.

For me, this applies not just to natural phenomena like wildfires burning down the hillsides into town, or maybe earthquakes hitting the area.  It has also come to apply to things like worrying about what nefarious things the Republican party is up to, worrying about the "fiscal cliff", or about whether or not some guy with assault weapons is going to shoot kids at one of the local schools.  Worrying about slippery slope arguments and going over those scenarios in my mind is also something I haven't been spending as much time on.

There are things I am concerned about, for sure.  And of course I have opinions about lots and lots of things.

But hey, the fact that we ARE all still here after another one of these prophecies didn't come true tells me that humanity can decide to create its own reality because it's very possible there is nothing out there making our decisions for us, nothing is preordained, and nothing that says positive change is impossible.

Time to put worrying about stuff like the Mayan calendar aside, and take a closer look at reality.  Reality is where we are, it is what we think, it is what we are, and the end product of those factors and others is what we do.

So...  yes.  This is the dawning of the Age of Aquarius, the Age of Aquarius...  Aquarius!!   LOLOL

The time to hesitate is through, no time to wallow in the mire...

For united we stand, divided we fall.

Have a great Christmas, and I hope 2013 is a great year for everyone.  






5 Comments:

Blogger Tom Harper said...

Wait! Don't let your guard down yet. Keep on storing food and other supplies. The Rapture will be here any day now.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Jim Marquis said...

I think it's great you've been so successful dealing with your issues. It shows a lot of inner strength.

I'm not a very religious person but I do believe in the concept of faith. Or at least having the faith to believe we'll get through the current shit just like we got through all the previous shit.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Snave said...

Thanks Tom! I'm not too worried about The Rapture, though. If it actually does happen, I'll be one of the ones "left behind" to enjoy what the others leave for me and most of my friends. 8-)

Thanks too, J.! Be careful though, if you have faith in humanity... you might be a secular humanist! ;-)

5:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Snave,
I love your piece and the title. I really think you might appreciate this. If I had your email I would send it directly and not post this here. This funny dance music video is called, "We're All Still Here" and its about how we all survived Dec. 21st. I hope you love it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0PYDECE7x4

12:20 AM  
Blogger S.W. Anderson said...

When it comes to the fiscal cliff, to screwing retirees with the chain CPI ripoff and playing into Republicans' hands with austerity before unemployment is below 5 percent, there are things you can do to help.

Write or call the White House, your senators and U.S. representative. Tell them to stand firm against balancing the budget on the backs of the nonwealthy, especially on the backs of the needy, and to concern themselves instead with creating the jobs that can provide the tax revenues that will really help reduce the deficit.

Yes, it's good we survived the Mayan-predicted apocalypse. Never fear, though. There will always be some doomsayers predicting something as bad or worse.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

RichardDawkins.net