Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Standard Deviation: The Legend Begins

I know what can happen when people from work get together and form a band, because I was involved in such an effort about ten years ago. We had the school speech therapist (me) on bass guitar and vocals, the school diagnostician on drums, and the school P.E. teacher on lead guitar. I didn't play bass prior to this band; the guitarist and drummer cornered me one day and told me "You're the bass player." It didn't take long to learn the bass, and learning it was a blast! Our band didn't have a name, and we practiced during our lunch breaks in a beat-up single-wide the school used as a machine shop of sorts. Our best number was probably "Boom Boom Mancini" by Warren Zevon, although we did good versions of "Dirty Weapons" by Killer Dwarfs and "Jailbreak" by Thin Lizzy.

It is with this experience that I will relate, in coming posts, the history of a band from my town. This band is called Standard Deviation. I will tell you about their humble beginnings in northeast Oregon, and their subsequent meteoric rise to fame. Stay tuned!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

RichardDawkins.net