Friday, October 22, 2004

OUR GREATEST PRESIDENT? READ SOME THINGS HE SAID, AND DECIDE FOR YOURSELF!

When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion.

Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be.

I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.

You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was.

All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind.

With public sentiment, nothing can fail. Without it, nothing can succeed.

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.

If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.

I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts.

Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?

I don't know who my grandfather was; I am much more concerned to know what his grandson will be.

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.

If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?

"What is conservatism? Is it not adherence to the old and tried, against the new and untried?" Lincoln's Cooper Institute Address, February 27, 1860.

Our safety, our liberty, depends upon preserving the Constitution of the United States as our fathers made it inviolate. The people of the United States are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.

The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly.

The things I want to know are in books; my best friend is the man who'll get me a book I ain't read.

These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert, to fleece the people.

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

There is nothing true anywhere, The true is nowhere to be seen; If you say you see the true, This seeing is not the true one.

To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men.

We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.

What kills a skunk is the publicity it gives itself.

The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep's for which the sheep thanks the shepherd as his liberator, while the wolf denounces him for the same act as the destroyer of liberty. Plainly, the sheep and the wolf are not agreed upon a definition of liberty.

"I don't like that man. I must get to know him better."

I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right, and stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong.

People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.

"I have never studied the art of paying compliments to women; but I must say that if all that has been said by orators and poets since the creation of the world in praise of women were applied to the women of America, it would not do them justice for their conduct during this war. I will close by saying, God bless the women of America!" The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume VII, "Remarks at Closing of Sanitary Fair, Washington D.C." (March 18, 1864), p. 254.

"Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves; and, under a just God, can not long retain it." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume III, "Letter To Henry L. Pierce and Others" (April 6, 1859), p. 376.

Better to be silent and to be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.

How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg.

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.

"I have stepped out upon this platform that I may see you and that you may see me, and in the arrangement I have the best of the bargain." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume IV, "Remarks at Painesville, Ohio" (February 16, 1861), p. 218.

Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them.

No matter how much cats fight, there always seem to be plenty of kittens.

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties.

"In giving freedom to the slave, we assure freedom to the free - honorable alike in what we give, and what we preserve. We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth. Other means may succeed; this could not fail. The way is plain, peaceful, generous, just - a way which, if followed, the world will forever applaud, and God must forever bless." -- December 1, 1862 - Lincoln's Second Annual Message to Congress

No man is good enough to govern another man without that other's consent.

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar.

"Every blade of grass is a study; and to produce two, where there was but one, is both a profit and a pleasure."--From the September 30, 1859

My dream is of a place and a time where America will once again be seen as the last best hope of earth.

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jim Marquis said...

Wow! Thanks for showing those quotes. Abe really did have an amazing mind.

I think my favorite was "How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg".

That's the one I think applies most to this miserable administration and the current crop of Republicans.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Snave said...

Glad you like those quotes! He is one of my idols, obviously. My favorite quote from that bunch is "We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it." I also like "If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee."

I think that if more of today's Republicans were more mindful of their party's history, our country might not be in such bad shape.

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

RichardDawkins.net