Monday, July 04, 2005

SOME GREAT QUOTES

How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.
--- Adolf Hitler

Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal.
--- Martin Luther King

The great political criminals must be made the object of laughter.
--- Bertoldt Brecht

All truth goes through three stages. First it is ridiculed. Then it is violently opposed. Finally, it is accepted as self-evident.
--- Arthur Schopenhauer

The Church says the Earth is flat. But I know that it is round. For I have seen the shadow on the moon. And I have more faith in a shadow than in the Church.
--- Ferdinand Magellen

You did not weave the web of life; you are merely a strand in it. Whatever you do to the web, you do to yourself. You may think you own the land; you do not.
--- Chief Seattle, 1854

A world in which it is wrong to murder an individual civilian and right to drop a thousand tons of high explosive on a residential area does sometimes make me wonder whether this earth of ours is not a loony bin made use of by some other planet.
--- George Orwell
I'd rather vote for something I want and not get it than vote for something I don't want, and get it.
--- Eugene V. Debs

Religion is excellent stuff for keeping the common people quiet.
--- Napoleon Bonaparte

Advocates of capitalism are very apt to appeal to the sacred principles of liberty, which are embodied in one maxim: The fortunate must not be restrained in the exercise of tyranny over the unfortunate.
--- Bertrand Russell

I can't believe that we are going to let a majority of the people decide what's best for the state.
--- Rep. John Travis, Louisiana State legislature

Disobedience, in the eyes of any one who has read history, is man's original virtue. It is through disobedience that progress has been made, through disobedience and through rebellion.
--- Oscar Wilde

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscentious stupidity.
--- Martin Luther King

American politics are deeply contradictory of course, but anti-intellectualism . . . is the common strain. This includes a deep suspicion of anything that isn't simple, fundamental, traditional, down-to-earth and American in the ideological sense, and can be exploited easily by demagogues and cynical politicians of the right. The key word is freedom, which includes the freedom to own and use firearms, the freedom to trade and use the marketplace without restraint even if it means serious injury to health and decency, the freedom above all to make America's will rule all over the earth.
--- Edward Said

I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees.
--- Emiliano Zapata

You hear about 'constitutional rights,' 'free speech,' and the 'free press.' Every time I hear these words I say to myself, 'That man is a Red....' You never hear a real American talk like that.
--- Mayor Frank Hague, Jersey City

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naive and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.
--- H.L. Mencken

Men are taught to apologize for their weaknesses, women for their strengths.
--- Lois Wyse

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars
--- Oscar Wilde

I don't feel we did wrong taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themseleves.
--- John Wayne

First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.
--- Mahatma Gandhi

When asked what he thought about Western civilization: "I think it would be a good idea."
--- Mahatma Gandhi

Poverty is the worst form of violence.
--- Mahatma Gandhi

The principle of an eye for an eye will some day make the whole world blind.
--- Mahatma Gandhi

Circus dogs jump when the trainer cracks the whip, but the really well-trained dog is the one that turns somersaults when there is no whip.
--- George Orwell

When I feed the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.
--- Dom Helder Camara, Archbishop of Recife, Brazil

When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him whose.
--- Don Marquis

You don't have to be in jail to be doing time.
--- Tupac Shakur

The bigger the lie, the more often it's told, the more who believe it.
--- Joseph Gobbels, Nazi Minister of Propaganda

Atheists do look for answers to existence itself. They just dont make them up.
--- Teller, from "Penn & Teller"

The truth is rarely pure. And never simple.
--- Oscar Wilde

In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.
--- Charles de Gualle
I was born a Heretic. I always distrust people who know so much about what God wants them to do to their fellows.
--- Susan B. Anthony

It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
--- Krishnamarti

Charity is no substitute for justice witheld.
--- St. Augustine

One cannot say that all conservatives are stupid people, one can say that most stupid people are conservative.
--- John Stuart Mill

They will do whatever we let them get away with.
--- Joseph Heller

Beware, and be on your guard against every form of greed; For not even when one has an abundance does his life consist of his possessions.
--- Jesus Christ

8 Comments:

Blogger Snave said...

Ha! Now THAT is a great one! Well done! I think Twain needs to be remembered as one of the greatest Americans!

10:25 AM  
Blogger Lizzy said...

Those are excellent. Thank you so much for posting them. I may have to put a few of those on my blog, as well.

9:29 PM  
Blogger Christopher said...

Some wonderful quotes you have here.

May I link your site to mine?

Here, for the hell of it, are a few more quotes in a similar vein:

In war, the truth must be guarded by a bodyguard of lies – Winston Churchill

Tell a lie loud enough and long enough and people will believe it – Adolf Hitler

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Without censorship, things can get terribly confused in the public mind – General William Westmoreland

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect – Mark Twain

11:08 PM  
Blogger Snave said...

http://www.resistance.org.au/resrev/quotes2.html

This is where I got these quotes. I also have some other sources, i.e. Winokur's "The Portable Curmudgeon" (wonderful book!)

Feel free to link my site to yours! Thanks for asking, I'm flattered! I will see about doing the same for youse guys! Cheers!

10:31 AM  
Blogger Sheryl said...

Thanks for sharing thee quotes, Snave. I'll definitely take a closer look once we have our internet situation cleared up. Oops, library time has almost expired. Have fun!

11:12 AM  
Blogger halcyon67 said...

Poverty is the worst form of violence.
^^Absolutely true. Great collection of quotes. But, I did not see the quote from Niemoller. THat is an excellent quote by him there are several versions.

4:03 PM  
Blogger halcyon67 said...

Sorry here's the quote:

'First they came for the Communists, but I was not a Communist, so I said nothing. Then they came for the Social Democrats, but I was not a Social Democrat, so I did nothing. Then came the trade unionists, but I was not a trade unionist. And then they came for the Jews, but I was not a Jew, so I did little. Then when they came for me, there was no one left to stand up for me.'

Pastor Niemöller

4:04 PM  
Blogger Saraphia T. Wilson said...

Louisiana State Representative John Travis is my father. That "quote" you refer to is false. It is a misquote made by local media. I was present, in the House Chamber, when this interview took place. His actual reply was, "I can't believe that we are going to let a majority of the people decide what is best for each PARISH." He was addressing the issue regarding the ban of video poker establishments. Many parishes wanted to keep the establishments in their parish, while others did not. He believed that a better solution was to allow each parish to determine the outcome, with a parish-wide vote, as opposed to one statewide vote. Thank You, S. T. Wilson.

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

RichardDawkins.net