Monday, March 06, 2006

MY FAVORITE THINGS ABOUT THE OSCARS LAST NIGHT

These are more or less in order:

1. Ben Stiller's award presentation: it was so dumb I couldn't stop laughing. It was by far my favorite moment from the show.
2. The gay cowboy montage. Seeing all those old clips in a new light was well... enlightening!
3. "Crash" winning "best picture": it will give the rightwing talkers a LITTLE less to complain about today. Sorry to look at it that way, because all I hear about "Brokeback Mountain" is great. I look forward to seeing it this week, as it is actually here at our local theater! Anyway, I think the victory by "Crash" might actually allow for a little less gay-bashing today.
4. Steven Speilberg's reaction to Ben Stiller's suggestion that through Stiller's special effects he was blowing Spielberg away (the producer laughed and mouthed something to the effect of "No you're not!")
5. Numerous times when the audience seemed to be uncomfortable with Jon Stewart's humor. Too edgy? Nope, I'm sure most of them deserved to squirm. Let's bring him back to be master of ceremonies again next year.
6. George Clooney getting nominated for three awards, giving frank comments about leftists in Hollywood, and winning for "Syriana". I agree that Hollywood doesn't dictate what happens in American, but that it is rather a reflection of America.
7. Joaquin Phoenix only really smiling in about 10% of the instances he was on camera.
8. Philip Seymour Hoffman's acceptance speech was great, nervous and heartfelt.
9. Jon Stewart jokingly accusing Itzhak Perlman of "finger synching" on Perlman's violin-playing, and Perlman's bemused reaction.
10. Salma Hayek's dress. This probably should be somewhere farther up the list. I believe she has outstanding fashion sense.

There may have been other moments I have forgotten about, but all in all I actually kind of enjoyed the show this year. Usually I find it to be a real slog, but this year I found it more entertaining. Maybe that was due to Jon Stewart making things a bit less predictable.

7 Comments:

Blogger 1138 said...

My favorite part of the awards, was when they were over.
It had to be the most pitiful I've ever seen.
Why?
No real stars.
They just don't seem to exist anymore, outside of Clooney there wasn't a single Oscar moment in the remaining endless hours.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Jim Marquis said...

I thought Clooney was great. I loved how he said that being out of touch with the mainstream doesn't necessarily make you wrong.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Mandelbrot's Chaos said...

I agree with your comments about # 10. I'd've bumped it up to # 1, and followed it up with Jessica Alba's outfit, though it wasn't nearly revealing enough for my tastes.

Philip Seymour Hoffman... Forty years from now, people may not remember his name, but by god, they'll remember his characters, and they'll be studying his work in film schools. I seriously doubt there are many characters he can't play and play well. He is truly a rare talent, the equal or better of Vincent D'Onofrio and Dustin Hoffman.

In addition, I agree with Jon Stewart's suitability as a host, and wouldn't mind at all if he became to the Oscars what Dick Clark is/was to New Year's Eve. Sure, he injects politics into it, but he does so with a humanity that's been absent far too often in the past. Also, he's practically made a career out of combining that humor with a willingness to poke fun at everybody, including himself.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Lizzy said...

I agree with everything on your list except for #1. That went on a bit too long for me.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Damien said...

Honestly Crash has been the only movie where I've actually felt tears rolling up, that scene with the little girl getting held by her dad after they guy shot blanks - bella,

Hmmm I'm still out on Ben Stiller though - great range of movies - still sad that the Cowboys did'nt come in. Clooneys gonna get a directors award one day..hopefully.

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't know...seemed pretty dull to me, but I only tuned in for a bit. Did like that Hoffman got the acting award.

11:30 PM  
Blogger Sheryl said...

I missed it again. Since I did miss it and can't unmiss it, I think I'll accept Paul's interpretation that it was pitiful. That way I don't have worry that I didn't see it.

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

RichardDawkins.net