Friday, October 27, 2006

I'M IN LOVE WITH MY CAR(S)

By Queen
Words and music by roger taylor

The machine of a dream
Such a clean machine

With the pistons a pumpin
And the hub caps all gleam
When I'm holdin your wheel
All I hear is your gear
When my hand's on your grease gun
Oh its like a disease, son

Im in love with my car
Gotta feel for my automobile

Get a grip on my boy racer rollbar
Such a thrill when your radials squeal
Told my girl Ill have to forget her
Rather buy me a new carburetor

So she made tracks sayin
This is the end now
Cars dont talk back
They're just four wheeled friends now

When I'm holdin your wheel
All I hear is your gear
When I'm cruisin in overdrive
Dont have to listen to no run of the mill talk jive
Im in love with my car
Gotta feel for my automobile
Im in love with my car
String back gloves in my automolove


That's my favorite Queen song, and I'm not sure but it might be the only one Freddie Mercury didn't do lead vocals on!! The drummer wrote it and sang it... it is a wonderfully ridiculous tune!!

My computer is being cranky about letting me post photos. I will keep trying to post a shot of my other car, a blue 06 Prius (the only mostly driven by me). The above shot is of an 07 Camry hybrid (mostly driven by Kit). I AM in love with these cars...! Gotta feel for my automobile.

They don't quite get the mileage advertised, but I am very satisfied. The Prius is designed to get the best performance in stop-and-go "crawling", i.e. getting stuck in traffic jams. We don't have a lot of that out here in NE Oregon, so instead of 60 mpg in town the car is rated at, I get about 42. I can get up to 51 mpg on the highway, which is what Toyota advertises. The Camry is advertised at 38 mpg on the highway and 36 in town... I can get 48 to 50 mpg on the highway with it, and about 35 in town. It is like a 4-cylinder Camry but with some hybrid technology to augment the gas mileage. Both cars do best on level or downhill routes, and in town. Going uphill, they get about 20 mpg. Anyway, the amount of money we save every month in gasoline costs is WAY more than the $33 per month we added in total car payments, as the cars we had before got about 20 mpg apiece combined city and highway. The Prius gets about 45-46 mpg combined, and the Camry about 36 to 38 combined... Besides the good mileage, I also like the idea of buying less gasoline and creating fewer emissions. I am sure there are flaws in the logic of owning and driving hybrids, but I would like these cars even if they weren't hybrids.

These cars are fun. No doubt about it! If you are interested in learning more, there are plenty of good places to look on the web.

2 Comments:

Blogger Elvez73 said...

I am seriously considering buying a hybrid soon, I have looked at the Civic, and my parents have a Prius which I have driven and like, but it seems a little unsteady in the corners. Now that new Camry looks like something I should drive. I put alot of highway mileage on my car for my job, what do you think about the hybrids durability long term, i.e. batteries and such?

7:16 AM  
Blogger Snave said...

I know that we have either 8- or 10-year warranties on the batteries in both our cars. Replacing a battery can be spendy, like a couple thousand or more, but the batteries are covered nicely, as is the rest of each car. As far as durability goes, they are Toyotas... My daughter is still driving an old beater Corolla I bought in 1991 that has 153,000 miles. The body looks like crap, but I think the engine would run forever.

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

RichardDawkins.net