Wednesday, April 25, 2007

TANGENTIAL STORY ABOUT BARF


TANGENTIAL STORY RELATED TO BARF:

When Kelly was three years old and Katie was about 1 1/2, my grandmother passed away and we made the trip to Burns, OR for the funeral (about 4 hours drive from where we live). We stayed at a Best Western motel. Kelly got sick, and we were using the motel room ice bucket for her to throw up into. When we checked out, I asked the front desk person if we could keep the bucket for the trip home, and she said "By all means!" So, that little ice bucket became known around our home as the "Puke Bucket". After that, when we would be on family trips and the girls would see a Best Western motel sign, they would say...

"Look, Daddy! Puke Bucket!"

I like Best Western motels, but they have nonetheless been referred to by all members of my family (plus some of our friends who have heard this story) as the Puke Bucket Motel for the last 17 years or so.

We still have the official puke bucket, and it still has the Barney the Dinosaur stickers we put not just on the outside but on the inside, so when our kids threw up they could do it on Barney.

11 Comments:

Blogger PoliShifter said...

I think you'll need some depends and the puke bucket to get through Jesus Camp.

It's one of those movies I want to see but I'm afraid that if I watch it I'll become some livid, so pissed off, and so frightened that I may become apathetic. But one of these days I'll do it.

10:38 PM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

It's funny when a family creates their own little joke and tradition. Even if it is the puke bucket.

Fred wanted me to tell you that I found his new bed at Petsmart. It came with a little toy inside that dangled from the top. It scared the hell out of Fred so I removed it. Never let Fred the Cat know that I told you this but bravery is not one of his strongest factors.

5:44 AM  
Blogger Snave said...

POP, bravery isn't one of Mackie's traits either. If he hears the sound of a plastic bag, he will run. You should have seen him sprint into the house this morning when the tree service came to grind stumps from a couple of trees we had removed. He was out in our carport, and as soon as the tree guy started up the machinery, Mackie sprinted to the back door as quickly as I've seen him sprint in years!

8:42 AM  
Blogger Lizzy said...

Thanks, Snave. I needed a good laugh. That is a wonderful family tradition. : )

6:47 PM  
Blogger Lew Scannon said...

I only have one television set, so I could never watch Jesus camp because I would end up smashing it and then have no television to watch at all.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Candace Williams said...

Letting them barf on Barney - hah! My late ex-husband used to work on the Barney costume, and for a while he drove around with a smashed-up prototype tied to the front of his truck. People almost had wrecks because they were looking and laughing so hard.

-Scruffybutt's Mom

8:49 PM  
Blogger Undeniable Liberal said...

You may need a bigger puke bucket to get through Jesus camp. I'm sure that I don't have the stomach for it.

5:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ironically, I've got Jesus Camp here as well. Did you watch it? What should I expect?

Will I get to it before you?

5:36 PM  
Blogger Snave said...

K, you will probably get to it before I do. I watched the disgusting "BORAT" this evening. I did laugh out loud, though!

10:55 PM  
Blogger Sheryl said...

I would have thought that an ice bucket would be kind of small as a barf bucket. At least they mostly line them with plastic these days. You clearly never know how they have been used.

12:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Snave... Did finally get to Jesus Camp a day or two ago, and you know what it wasn't objectionable as I'd expected. Oh sure, it portray's a side of Christian America that I find extreme, sad...funny. But on the whole these people weren't as extreme as people that I've encountered personally.

Interesting.

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

RichardDawkins.net