Friday, June 22, 2007

BACK IN A COUPLE OF DAYS


I have been in Portland once during the past week, and am heading that way again today. I have been helping my mom clean out some of my late father's things, and the closest place that will buy Classical LP records and antique hardware is Portland (about 4 hours drive from here).


The LPs are tough to get rid of, I'm finding out. The Prius is packed with about 500 of them, which I tried to sell in Portland a few days ago to no avail (one place offered only $25 for the entire collection!), and I will try to sell at least some of today. I've been in contact with a private seller who looks for collectable LPs, and I think I may have a few for him. Tomorrow morning I'll be at the salvage department of a cool store that buys antique doorknobs, door locks, window sash covers, etc. and then refurbishes them or incorporates them into newly-built items. My wife is going along on this trip, and we plan to eat at a few of our favorite places along the route.


On my last Portland dash, I made enough money to pay for my trip about five or six times over. This trip probably won't be as productive, but it will be a nice getaway, even if it's brief.


See you in a couple of days!

4 Comments:

Blogger 1138 said...

Have a good trip.
My Mom found out after my fathers passing that his LP collection wasn't worth any more than you've been told.
One even had the nerve to tell her that they'd pick out the ones they wanted and pay her twenty five cents for those but that she would have to come back to take away the ones they didn't want.
She donated them to the seniors center in town (but how many can they take?).

It makes me worry about the burden my LP collection will be to my heirs.

9:17 AM  
Blogger enigma4ever said...

your blog still is great....Enigma is back....just making the rounds...have a good trip....

7:26 PM  
Blogger Lizzy said...

The same thing happened to me. I thought my parents record collection would be worth something, but it wasn't.

Have a good couple days off.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Snave said...

The place we ended up going to sell the LPs was WAY out in the country, about 45 minutes west of Portland in the Coast Range. The business owner is a great guy, and his LP warehouse is amazing! He must have over 50,000 albums, nearly all of them Classical. He was able to give us $100 for the entire bunch of LPs, which was nice. I saved out about five or so that I know were special to my father, and I will add those to the 75 or so that I saved out, at Mom's place prior to our trip.

We had a nice time at Rejuvenation, the antique and lighting store. My wife and I took a box of more of Dad's antique hardware, and they paid us something like $138 for it... We made about enough money to pay for the trip, plus a little extra, and it was just nice to get away for a day.

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

RichardDawkins.net