Friday, December 04, 2009

RUN FOR THE ROSES


The Civil War football game was a good one. Both teams are good, and with a berth in the Rose Bowl (January 1) on the line, it was a shame someone had to lose.

And for a while, it looked like the Oregon State Beavers had my Oregon Ducks figured out. OSU led the game 30-21 after 2 1/2 quarters. However, Oregon outscored the Beavers 16-3 the rest of the way for a 37-33 win. Oregon's defense held up when it had to, and the offense controlled the ball for the last six minutes of the game, keeping the ball out of OSU's hands.

So as it turns out, I'm a very happy college football fan this morning! It has been 15 years since the Ducks went to the Rose Bowl. I feel badly for the OSU fans, because the Beavers last went to the Rose Bowl in 1965. But I am still entirely glad the Ducks won. Duck fans now have state bragging rights for another year, by winning a game that was arguably the biggest in the history of the rivalry!

I will be merciful with my Beaver fan friends. In fact, had the Beavers won last night I was actually planning to buy a Beavers hat or shirt and wear it during the Rose Bowl. The only time I really root for OSU to lose is when they are playing U of O.

Now the Ducks play a different OSU: the Ohio State Buckeyes. Oregon has never beaten Ohio State in the seven games they have played over the years, but I hope this year is the time Oregon breaks that streak by winning a big time Bowl Championship Series game. I'm looking forward to a great afternoon on January 1; whether Oregon wins or loses, just being in the Rose Bowl is a great feeling. I am going to wallow in it for the next four weeks!

4 Comments:

Blogger Randal Graves said...

Given that we play Neanderthal football under the most conservative play-caller in the land, I would look for an Oregon victory, unless our defense pulls a 2002, which is doubtful. I still have no idea how we beat Miami, cheap pass interference call or no.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Jim Marquis said...

It was a great game. And I'm looking forward to a great Rose Bowl.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Darrell Michaels said...

Snave, I will admit that I was heart-broken with the outcome of this game since the last Rose Bowl for my Beavers was more than a decade back since even my Blazers won the championship in '77.

Between that and my Seahawks getting to the Super Bowl once and then losing to the Steelers, there has been a lot of heartbreak in my sports teams' life! :(

All that being said, it was a good game despite the outcome. My congratulations goes to you and the Ducks accordingly. I look forward to them representing Oregon well now in the Rose Bowl.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Snave said...

They do need to make a good showing in the Rose Bowl this time. Last time, fifteen years ago, was not all that great. But I agree J., I'm looking forward to it!

Again, it's a shame anyone had to lose this Civil War. I actually don't think I would have been all that devastated about the Ducks not going to the Rose Bowl had the Beavers won, knowing that it's kind of like OSU's "turn", and the state would have still been very well represented on January 1 had it been OSU winning the War.

What would have been bad for me is that most of the college football fans around here are kind of automatic for OSU. There aren't that many Ducks in NE Oregon! All my OSU friends would not have allowed me to live this one down, for the entire next year. As it is, I will be nice and not start needling them until sometime after the Rose Bowl. Whether the Ducks win or lose that one, state bragging rights are good to have until next November!

Mr. Paine, I know what you mean. I am also a Seahawks and Blazers fan, and on top of that, my primary sports teams other than U of O teams is... gasp... the Seattle Mariners!! For me, baseball season is all year around!

Randal, your sentiments echo what a Beaver fan told me yesterday. She said her dad is an Ohio State alum, saying Ohio St. would kick Oregon or Oregon State's butt, etc. But she agreed that they do things today at Ohio St. the same way they did 50 years ago (from play-calling to uniforms to band uniforms to just about everything), when they play the Ducks they might not know what hit 'em. I hope that's true... !

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

RichardDawkins.net