Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A FEW SHOTS FROM THE ELTON JOHN AND BILLY JOEL CONCERT

I was there at the Rose Garden in Portland, Oregon 2/10/10. It was a makeup show from November when the show had to be canceled due to Elton John being ill. Glad we kept our tickets... it was a great show!

Billy and Elton do "Your Song"
Elton and band doing "Rocket Man"

Elton had his original guitarist Davey Johnstone on board!

Along with his original drummer Nigel Olsson!

Elton and his band do "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road"

Billy Joel and his band

For "We Didn't Start the Fire", the Piano Man strapped on a guitar!

Elton and Billy complemented each other very well. Their separate bands were great, and they were great together! A most memorable night!

I have posted more photos of this show on my Facebook page.

3 Comments:

Blogger Konnie said...

I was at the concert. Your photos turned out great. This was my 9th time seeing Elton, 1st seeing Billy. It was a great night.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Snave said...

Glad you got to go, Konnie! My family and I had a blast. Both artists were great! It was my first time seeing both of them. When did you first see Elton John?

I have been an Elton John fan since around 1971 or whenever it was he released Madman Across the Water. It was cool hearing three songs from that album and then a whole bunch from Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. It was also a thrill for me that EJ had original band members Nigel Olsson and Davey Johnstone in the band with him! All that would have made it complete would have been to have bassist Dee Murray there too.

Billy Joel was excellent. He can still hit the high notes when he sings, and he and his band sounded wonderful. I am mostly just familiar with his hits, and he played plenty of those.

Elton can't quite sing the high notes like he used to, but his backup singers helped with that part and it still sounded good. And when Elton and Billy sang together, Billy covered for Elton by singing some of the lines with the higher notes. Their styles seemed very complimentary.

For the "excitement factor" I would rate this show highly, but even more so for the "fun factor" and "emotions factor". Two of my "bucket list" musicians, in one show!!

4:14 PM  
Blogger Jim Marquis said...

Great pics. I thought it was great some of the 70's guys were still out on the road with Elton.

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

RichardDawkins.net