Wednesday, December 09, 2009

MY TOP 61 ALBUMS OF THE 2000's

I put together this list of my favorite albums of the 2000's. From 60 down to around #25 it is sort of thrown-together and those 35-or-so albums could be in most any order depending on my mood, but from there on down to #1 I would say it is pretty definite:

62. RADIOHEAD - Kid A
61. DREAM THEATER - Train Of Thought

60. MATMOS - The Rose Has Teeth In The Eye Of The Beast
59. ROYSKOPP - AM
58. SHEARWATER - Palo Santo
57. ELECTRELANE - The Power Out
56. CHRIS WHITLEY - Hotel Vast Horizon
55. ELBOW - Cast of Thousands
54. CHEAP TRICK - The Latest
53. RADIOHEAD - Hail To The Thief
52. THE NATIONAL - Boxer
51. DOVES - Lost Souls

50. RICHARD THOMPSON - Semi-Detached Mock Tudor
49. EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY - The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place
48. COLDPLAY - Viva La Vida
47. ANDREW BIRD - Noble Beast
46. VARIOUS ARTISTS - Oh Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack
45. THE DANDY WARHOLS - Thirteen Tales From Urban Bohemia
44. DOVES - Kingdom of Rust
43. DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE - Transatlanticism
42. BAND OF HORSES - Everything All The Time
41. BATTLES - Mirrored

40. COLDPLAY - Parachutes
39. OPETH - Damnation
38. BELLE AND SEBASTIAN - The Life Pursuit
37. WILCO - A Ghost Is Born
36. DOVES - The Last Broadcast
35. BROKEN SOCIAL SCENE - You Forgot It In People
34. SCHOOL OF SEVEN BELLS - Alpinisms
33. PORCUPINE TREE - The Incident
32. THE DANDY WARHOLS - The Dandy Warhols Come Down
31. BLACKFIELD - Blackfield

30. GODSPEED YOU BLACK EMPEROR - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven
29. TODD RUNDGREN - Liars
28. THE HOLD STEADY - Boys And Girls In America
27. THE ALIENS - Astronomy For Dogs
26. SIGUR ROS - Agaetis Byrjun
25. M83 - Saturdays = Youth
24. FLAMING LIPS - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
23. RED HOUSE PAINTERS - Old Ramon
22. RADIOHEAD - In Rainbows
21. ELBOW - Asleep In The Back

20. ARCADE FIRE - Funeral
19. GRIZZLY BEAR - Yellow House
18. SUN KIL MOON - April
17. WARREN ZEVON - Life'll Kill Ya
16. BOSTON SPACESHIPS - The Planets Are Blasted
15. THE ALIENS - Luna
14. WILCO - Wilco (the album)
13. INTERPOL - Turn On The Bright Lights
12. YO LA TENGO - I Am Not Afraid Of You And I Will Beat Your Ass
11. GRIZZLY BEAR - Veckatimest

10. SUFJAN STEVENS - Illinoise
9. MY MORNING JACKET - It Still Moves
8. THE NATIONAL - Alligator
7. THE SHINS - Oh! Inverted World
6. ARCADE FIRE - Neon Bible
5. PORCUPINE TREE - In Absentia
4. BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - Magic
3. COLDPLAY - A Rush Of Blood To The Head
2. THE WRENS - The Meadowlands
1. STEVEN WILSON - Insurgentes

Wilson's "Insurgentes" is the same album my great friend J. Marquis listed as #1 for the decade! I swear, I am not copying him. This is a case of great minds thinking alike! It is a wonderful album; if you are inclined toward prog-rock at all, you will appreciate this one very much. I believe it is one of the most creative things to be released in a long, long time.

My listing of Radiohead's "Kid A" at #62 is symbolic, in that I can think of a lot of albums I think are better than that, that I would prefer to listen to, including ones by Radiohead! I like "Kid A", but I think it is vastly overrated.

There are probably a few I left off my list, but if so, it was by accident. The first decade of this century was a good one for rock music, and because I am mostly into independent label/alternative music, I think it was especially great!

Because J. posted a picture of the Wilson album cover at his blog "Major Conflict" (see links), I will go second best. Here is what The Wrens' "The Meadowlands" looks like!



Happy listening!

Coming fairly soon will be a list of my favorite albums of 2009.

And in case you haven't looked yet, check out the cat pics below!

Cheers!

JE

9 Comments:

Blogger Holte Ender said...

I own a few on your list, must admit many of them I have never heard of. A particular favorite of mine is your number 50. Semi-Detached Mock Tudor by Richard Thompson. When I first played it I was a little disappointed, but his fabulous guitar work lifts the tunes to heights a lesser musician couldn't have.

Must listen to Insurgentes.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Randal Graves said...

Opeth! Sure, it ain't the death metal ones, but that's a lovely record. ;-)

I completely love the new Cheap Trick. Porcupine Tree and Radiohead are always cool. Interpol is one of those bands that I've always been meaning to check out but never did for whatever reason.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Jim Marquis said...

That's so cool you also picked the Steven Wilson album to be your number one choice. We also had Bruce, Porcupine Tree and Coldplay pretty much in the same positions.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Snave said...

I left off one I really like, and that is Snakes and Arrows by Rush! It would be somewhere in the 40-50 range.

Randal, Deliverance is another Opeth I like. Ghost Reveries is pretty cool too! Agreed, that latest Cheap Trick is great.

Holte, how about that 12-minute version of "Hard On Me" by Thompson? Great stuff!

J., great minds think alike a good deal of the time! When I looked at your list, I only did a quick scan and noticed the Wilson CD was your top pick. Those others occupying similar positions? Totally cool! 8-)

8:18 PM  
Blogger Snave said...

Randal, that Interpol album is a cold, dark kind of thing. Very primitive, almost like Joy Division in places. But very, very nice!

8:19 PM  
Blogger Distributorcap said...

boy am i behind the times. then again i havent bought an album since the 70s

2:45 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

What, nothing by Britney Spears or Justin Timberlake? Or Toby Keith?

3:59 PM  
Blogger Holte Ender said...

Inspired by your enthusiasm for Insurgentes bought it. Love it.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Beekeepers Apprentice said...

Shame about Chris Whitley...he was a bang-up good musician.

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

RichardDawkins.net