Sunday, February 20, 2005

IN AND OUT OF COMMISSION

I am not giving up on blogging, but you may see fewer entries from me for the time being. I may be in and out of commission for a while due to my father's health problems.

The phone rang about 11:15 last night and I knew it had to be something wrong with dad. He has had congestive heart failure for the last two years, and it has been hard for him to keep his blood pressure up. Mom said she heard some thumping and bumping in the kitchen, and when she got up to see what it was, she found him collapsed and tyring to pull himself up on a chair. I live just a couple of blocks away, so I was there in a minute or so. The EMT's and ambulance were already there.

Dad was sitting in a chair at the kitchen table, looking thin and drawn, shaking, his face pale. He tried to speak but his words were faint and very difficult to understand. I held his hand and propped him up while the EMT's got his IV lines started, and soon he was on his way to the hospital.

Mom and I waited there until about 2:00 a.m. when things were stable enough for him to be moved to the ICU (Intensive Care Unit). As of this morning he is still there, but tests show he didn't have a heart attack; from my experience working with stroke vicitims, I didn't think he was having a stroke. I think it's mainly a problem of his heart not being strong enough anymore to pump the blood efficiently. He has had a pacemaker since April, and since then has seemed to have more energy than he did a year or so ago.

Anyway, please wish my dad the best. He is a wonderful man, and has always done his utmost for me and Mom. I will keep you posted on how he is doing. As for Mom and me, we will continue to do the best we can under the circumstances.

Thanks! I will be back to blogging as time allows!

7 Comments:

Blogger RBP said...

Hang in there Snave, we'll be thinking about your pops down here. Peace.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Jim Marquis said...

Sorry your dad is having a hard time, old buddy. Please give both him and your mom my regards.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Snave said...

Thanks guys. This evening he's still in the ICU but he's stabilizing. More as more happens!

9:00 PM  
Blogger Lizzy said...

I'll keep a good thought for your Dad. Keep us updated.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Sheryl said...

Hope things calm down. I'm thinking positive thoughts.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Damien said...

Kia Kaha (stay strong)
We're doing the same thing this end with my grandmother and now her brother, and we've had a few more scares.

Will be thinking of your dad on this side of the planet, take care buddy.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just came by and read your post. I don't know you personally but sympathize for what you're going through. I send my best wishes for your dad and your family.

1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

RichardDawkins.net