Thursday, February 03, 2005

THE STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
photo: NY Post

Most of the major network channels didn't have much to offer during our dinner hour, so last night Kit and I watched the State Of The Union Address on Animal Planet. President Jeff Corwin had great delivery, and it was a delight to see him articulate his positions on the issues of the day. As usual, when he speaks, we learn something new from him. Last night was no exception.

This address centered on big cats, as he devoted particular attention to the cheetah. He also directed our attention to a giant cockroach, which he pretended to eat. He did not neglect what he considers to be the plight of the elephant. I tend to think there is definitely a problem with the elephants in that there are too many of them in the United States. I disagree with people who say these elephants need protection. There are plenty of them in our country. The staged "hug" between the elephant and the lion didn't do anything for me.

In statements George W. Bush made yesterday evening, it was insinuated that donkeys might get dumped on by elephants (see below) if they didn't go along with the demands of the elephant community. To Jeff Corwin's credit, I have never heard him say anything like this about donkeys. I have heard him talk about poop from time to time, but when he does, it is educational and not threatening.

I am sure many in our country will give him their blind support, as he is the kind of person with whom they would feel safe in the wilds of the world. Plus, he has a great smile! It doesn't matter that some of his actions may defy logic. In today's cult of personality, if someone says they are a "leader" enough times, sooner or later people will believe... and they will follow.

What we saw and heard in the State of the Union address was amusing, but when it gets right down to it, it was more of the same old.... stuff:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

3 Comments:

Blogger Snave said...

Heh! Right on, Ms.!

JB, sorry I stole the elephant photo. I will give you the credit, I saw it on your wonderful weblog first!

11:59 AM  
Blogger Jim Marquis said...

Snave, I'm afraid we have to ration the number of poop pictures shown on your blog. This is it for February, young man!

5:14 PM  
Blogger Snave said...

Yeah, I know. I guess I'm just Homo Poopus Erectus.

I told a few other bloggers that from the last dung- and vomit-fest on, I would only use the scatological images on special occasions. The State of the Onion message qualifes as "special". I will restrain myself for a while.

Maybe.

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

RichardDawkins.net