Tuesday, June 30, 2009

MAC EVANS aka "BABY MACKIE", 1995-2009



Mac is still with us tonight as I write this. By the time you read it, he may well be gone. He and I will be making his last visit to the veterinarian either tomorrow or Thursday this week.

Mac's body is shutting down. He is unable to do much now but sleep or sit motionless. He drinks a little bit of water, and he doesn't eat much at all. He appears to be having trouble eliminating, possibly because there really isn't much in there to eliminate. The problem is his hyperactive thyroid, and he has anemia now too. Add in his old age, and there isn't really any hope of him getting better. There is nothing else I can do for Mac at this point but the right thing, which is to help ease his passage.

Losing Bonnie to old age last year was difficult; we had her for 15 years. Losing Zeke in April to kidney failure was awful too, because he was so young and it was so unexpected. But losing Mac may be the hardest of all for me to handle. He is one of my favorite pets of all time, one of those I have most enjoyed throughout my life. As with all the animals who find their ways into our home and our hearts, Mac has been more than a pet; he has been a beloved friend for 14 years.

Mac is unable to respond to his name or to "kitty kitty" any more. But he still responds to a gentle touch, and I can still discern a faint purr here and there.

Mac, if there's such a place as Rainbow Bridge, I hope to someday come and cross that bridge with you, Bonnie, Zeke, and all the other animal friends I have known and loved throughout my years.

Doing the right thing for Mac is noble, and it is easy. The hard part is letting go.

"Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest."

11 Comments:

Blogger Randal Graves said...

Ugh. :( My thoughts are with you and everyone else out there.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Jim Marquis said...

Really sorry, Snave. That was a nice picture...it really shows how much you care about your animals.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Dave Splash said...

Really sorry. One of my cats is pushing 15 and (knock on wood) is doing okay. Had a little scare last year, but he's fine now.

But, you are doing the right thing.

RIP

8:25 AM  
Blogger Terence Towles Canote said...

I'm sorry, Snave. It is so sad that you are losing your cats so closely together. My thoughts are with you.

11:31 AM  
Blogger S.W. Anderson said...

I know so well how you feel, Snave. We've gone through a couple of spells where we lost two or more pets for various reasons, mainly old age and failing health. It's terribly sad and distressing.

Take comfort in having given Mackie a good home and lots of love for as long as he was part of your family. And, as I think I mentioned before, once you've had a little time to grieve, open your heart and home to another cat or kitten. There are so many sweet, smart dogs and cats who need a friend and a home, so many put to death for lack of someone to save them. I think it's especially important now, with the recession, when more people are giving pets up to shelters or abandoning them on the streets.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

I'm really sorry for your loss. For people who are devoted to their pets, it really is the loss of a family member.

R.I.P.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Carlos said...

He looks like a cat I had when I was a child. Beautiful kitty. Good luck. My thoughts are with you.

2:42 AM  
Blogger jmsjoin said...

So sorry! For some reason we are as attached to our cats like children but Damn!

1:33 PM  
Blogger Beekeepers Apprentice said...

When we have any particular animal around us for so many years, living with us, ruling over us in some cases:), loving us for whatever their reasons may be, it is the equivalent of losing a family member. In fact, that's just what it is.
I'm sorry Snave...

5:32 PM  
Blogger 1138 said...

Sorry for your loss.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Sheryl said...

I'm sorry, Snave. One of my favorite cats got feline leukemia. I think it's fairly common with cats.

Best wishes in coping. Hugs!

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

RichardDawkins.net