Thursday, May 21, 2009

MUSIC, SUNSHINE AND FUN IN GENERAL

Many apologies to you if I am repeating myself by posting about this!

I'm heading to the Sasquatch Music Festival in a couple of days. It will be my third year in a row attending the festivities! To say I am stoked about it would be an understatement.

The event takes place at the Gorge Amphitheater near the small community of George, Washington (seriously, that's its name). There will probably be about 20,000 people there.

Why will I be one of the oldest people there, even at the tender age of almost-52? Because the festival centers on indie/alternative/college music, and I would say most of the people there are in the 15-30 age range.

That's o.k. with me, though! The music these younger fans tend to go for is the very kind that energizes me.

Here is who I plan to try and see while I'm there.

SATURDAY: The Gaslight Anthem, Blind Pilot, Doves, King Khan and the Shrines, Shearwater, Sun Kil Moon, The Decemberists, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Bon Iver, Kings of Leon

SUNDAY: Mike Watt, The Walkmen, John Vanderslice, Calexico, St. Vincent, The Wrens, The Airborne Toxic Effect, The Dodos, M83, Of Montreal and Jane's Addiction.

MONDAY: Deerhoof, Grizzly Bear, Santogold, School of Seven Bells, Gogol Bordello, Blitzen Trapper, Fleet Foxes, Monotonix, Silversun Pickups, Beach House, and Explosions in the Sky.

That is a lot to see and hear, and in some cases I will see part of one act at one stage before leaving to see part of another act elsewhere. There are three stages, and there is usually something good going on at each one, all the time! Decisions must be made!

Thus I will probably not see Nine Inch Nails, TV on the Radio, Erykah Badu or Ben Harper. Oh well!

I plan to take a lot of pictures. If you didn't get to see my Sasquatch Reports from the last two years, here is where to find them:



The temps are supposed to be in the mid-90s by Monday. Doesn't look like it will rain at all this weekend!

And to all the rest of you, have a great Memorial Day Weekend!!
Come back here around Wednesday or so next week to see some photos.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jim Marquis said...

You definitely rock, Snave. Hope you have a great time.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Randal Graves said...

Enjoy the show and we expect a full write-up when you get back!

6:12 AM  
Blogger Beekeepers Apprentice said...

Oh, how I wish I lived in Oregon, because that sounds like a Fine time will be had by all!

10:06 AM  
Blogger Distributorcap said...

what a nice trip - and i hope you have a great time!

12:36 PM  
Blogger Snave said...

Thanks all, it WAS great!!!

I will put up a write-up by the end of this week. It's going to be a busy time at work, and I don't know how much energy I will have in the evenings to do the blog entry justice, but we'll see.

There are some great pictures of an Israeli band called Monotonix. Absolutely wild performance. Highlights for me were M83, School of Seven Bells, Wrens, Grizzly Bear, and a few other goodies. I didn't see much of the headliners the first couple of nights (Kings of Leon, Jane's Addiction) or their supporting acts (The Decemberists, Nine Inch Nails) as I was off looking at stuff like Of Montreal and... gasp... the dance tent!!!

I am so tired this morning I can barely function.

More soon.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

So you're that old man I keep seeing at the festival every summer :)

Looking forward to seeing your posts and pictures.

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

RichardDawkins.net