Sunday, January 02, 2011

AN INTERESTING ARTICLE

While some of you might disagree, I view this as a growing national crisis:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-rodda/mandatory-us-army-survey-_b_801597.html

Those who would transform our country into a theocracy are attempting to convert our military into a religiously fundamentalist military. What better way to make sure that once the right politicians are all in office, the military will be there to help keep the country in line? I believe they can accomplish this over the next 15-20 years if we are not vigilant and careful.

Those who are pushing religious fundamentalism on our military need to have their feet held to the fire. Would our Supreme Court, in its current configuration, do anything to stop this? I believe they should. These elements in our military are actively working to promote a particular religion, and even a particular variety of that religion. Needless to say, this is unconstitutional. And once these people got the power of the military behind their religious fundamentalism, the outcome would be anything but good for America and for the world.


(Sorry about the link not being active. For what it's worth, I tried using "edit html" and "compose" functions when creating this post, and neither would let the link come up as active. Help on that would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!)

2 Comments:

Blogger Darrell Michaels said...

Interesting article, indeed, Snave!

This is the very first I have heard of this phenomena though.

I would agree that it is wrong to have any sort of "spiritual fitness" test for military members, and if such a thing were to actually gain enough traction to be enacted, I am certain that even the conservative members of the Supreme Court (perhaps especially them) would find this to be grossly unconstitutional and rule accordingly.

Indeed, I knew many and used to be an atheist myself back in my Navy days. My dog tags from back in the day show a "religious preference" of "NONE" accordingly.

I know for a fact that believers of any faith or no faith at all can and have been excellent members of our armed services. I suspect always will be the case and that this article is little more than a tempest in a teapot, sir.

If it were to become more than this, than I would stand beside those insisting that such "tests" be removed immediately as prerequisite for military service.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Jim Marquis said...

Tom, this is far more than a tempest in a teapot. There has been a growing problem in all branches of the military and it's probably been the worst at the Air Force academy (which just happens to be located near the headquarters of Focus on the Family).

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

RichardDawkins.net