Wednesday, July 26, 2006

A MOVIE REVIEW

I had the good fortune of seeing the film "An Inconvenient Truth" on Monday with my family. In the Portland metro area, where about 2/3 of the population votes leftist, it isn't surprising to me to see this movie continuing to draw decent-sized crowds, even though the film has been out for a while and even though it is a documentary, actually a filmed lecture. After seeing the film, I hope it is continuing to draw good crowds in other cities and in other parts of the U.S. as well.

I have to give Al Gore credit for creating a very good presentation. He combines humor, science and his deep passion for the environmental issues he has been investigating for years. In the presentation of scientific information, Gore goes beyond politics and simply presents facts. I also give him credit for not bashing Bush as much as he could have; the opportunity certainly presents itself, and although Gore does get in a few good digs, he is able to put himself mostly above the bad fortunes he experienced in the 2000 presidential elections. (At one point, his "loss" to Bush is represented in a way that suggests the country is environmentally on the wrong track as a result of the Supreme Court's decision. I agree with that, of course!) Some might argue that Gore's personal asides during the film detract from the overall message, but I would respond that revealing more of "Gore the human being" simply reveals his dedication to spreading his message. He also leaves religion out of the picture for the most part. He doesn't "talk down" to the audience, either: he presents a complicated science in accessible terms. All in all, his presentation is very objective.

His message, of course, is that human activities are accelerating the warming of the earth's atmosphere, which will lead to dire consequences for our children and grandchildren if we don't take measures to slow things down. As our earth has gone in and out of ice ages, it is easy to say that we are simply heading into another cyclical period of warming and this is nothing out of the ordinary. However, Gore effectively argues that things are happening much more quickly this time around than they have happened in any past cycle, and that human activities are causing this acclerated climactic change. He also effectively points out that nearly all scientists support the existence of global warming as reality, and that scientists in opposition may well be paid to be in opposition, for political reasons.

I would highly recommend this film to anybody who has not seen it, regardless of their political persuasion.

That was an opinionated review. I admit it! 8-)>

6 Comments:

Blogger Sheryl said...

I should probably see that. Thanks for the review.

6:54 AM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

As much as I would like to see a man as intelligent as Al Gore as our president, I think he can do more good doing just what he's doing. That's his passion, politics isn't.

I would love to see the next president appoint Al as secy of the interior. That to me would truly be a dream come true. Hopefully President Feingold will agree with me. :)

As science continues to explain what religion cannot, the fundies are backed into a corner and they lash out the same way a rabid dog would.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Jim Marquis said...

I like what you said about Al Gore doing something that's above personal political ambition. I'm all for democracy but sometimes it seems like the Dem-GOP bickering just clouds our thinking about the really important issues.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Damien said...

Meh, Al seems happier these days outside all the crap and garbage that DC has to offer, I'm still waiting for the DVD to appear on our shelves.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Lizzy said...

Love pissed off patricia's comment!

I am really looking forward to seeing the film. Great post, Snave.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Cartledge said...

Well said. But my old refrain is: It is not just the US!
This is a global problem, and the faith based aside, condervatives only look to one lot of evidence; return on investment.
It could be - well it is argued that ROI applies to the environment as well as business.
I'm afraid the just don't connect the dots.

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

RichardDawkins.net