Wednesday, August 09, 2006

QUICK MOVIE REVIEW: TALLADEGA NIGHTS

This film certainly doesn't represent the zenith of human intellectual achievement, but I have to say I laughed my butt off watching it. If you like seeing redneck culture lampooned, this is a wonderful way to spend a couple of hours. Whether you love NASCAR, or whether or loathe it (as I do), there are laughs aplenty. Sure, having a racing sponsor by the name of "Laughing Clown Malt Liquor" may be a bit sick, but I love it. Check out the scenes where Will Ferrell (Ricky Bobby) is saying grace... heh! There may be a few too many gay jokes/gags for some people, but I think what is funny isn't necessarily the portrayal of Ferrell's racing nemesis (a gay Frenchman) but the portrayal of stereotypical redneck reactions to gay men... usually not a funny thing, but made so in this film. While the movie tends to hold nothing sacred, it's quite hilarious in a base sort of way. If you liked "Old School" and/or "Anchorman" (I still need to see the former, but I LOVE the latter and quote it frequently), this film will probably be right up your alley! On a four-star rating scale, I would give it three-and-a-half.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I probably won't go and see Talladega Nights, but on the subject of Will Farrell's movies... I often find that I enjoy them more than I expect. Anchor Man was an excellent example.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Lizzy said...

I loved Anchorman, so I'm looking forward to seeing Telladega Nights.

"I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal."
Ron Burgundy

6:43 PM  
Blogger Lew Scannon said...

I'll wait for the video.

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

RichardDawkins.net