Monday, June 23, 2008

REST IN PEACE, GEORGE CARLIN - 5/12/37-6/20/08


"The whole problem with this idea of obscenity and indecency, and all of these things - bad language and whatever - it's all caused by one basic thing, and that is: religious superstition. There's an idea that the human body is somehow evil and bad and there are parts of it that are especially evil and bad, and we should be ashamed. Fear, guilt and shame are built into the attitude toward sex and the body. ... It's reflected in these prohibitions and these taboos that we have."

That was George Carlin in an interview in 2004. Sadly, he died yesterday of heart failure at age 71. He has been a hero of mine since the early-mid 70s. Amidst much of the likely cheering from the humorless, prudish kookballs it will be difficult to hear the silent tears from some of us, but I say our country needs more people like George.

I am definitely going to miss this guy.....

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat. "

"Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. "

"I'm always relieved when someone is delivering a eulogy and I realize I'm listening to it. "

"Death is caused by swallowing small amounts of saliva over a long period of time. "

"You know an odd feeling? Sitting on the toilet eating a chocolate candy bar."

"Always do whatever's next. "

10 Comments:

Blogger Terence Towles Canote said...

I have to say, George Carlin is one of the few celebrities whose passing made me cry. He was simply brilliant, perhaps the greatest comic of the past 40 years.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Jim Marquis said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:51 PM  
Blogger Jim Marquis said...

When you look at the evoloution of humor in this country, Carlin was very, very important. His passing is a great loss.

5:53 PM  
Blogger American Hill BIlly said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:28 PM  
Blogger American Hill BIlly said...

I cried all morning long till I went to ahh?? I got the blog listed on my blog, but they had his seven words illustrated, F*ck and all. It made me smile.
He wasn't a comedian in the true sense to me. He was a thought provoking philosophor. He made people use their critical thinking skills. I am sure he is well in the other realms of eternity.

Peace and Freedom

7:32 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

George Carlin was great. For me it was his material itself, combined with that deadpan manner, that made him so hilarious. Whenever I saw, I kept thinking he was gonna burst out laughing in the middle of a sentence. I'd be just about falling over laughing, and he's got this totally deadpan expression, like he's reading an insurance contract or something.

RIP.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Randal Graves said...

Heh, tom covered it. We'd be busting our guts and he was dead serious. A legend.

8:26 AM  
Blogger PoliShifter said...

was a sad day for the world

12:22 PM  
Blogger Sean Carter said...

yeah, i was sad. BTW, i'm back http://cartersviews.blogspot.com/

7:46 PM  
Blogger Mandelbrot's Chaos said...

Carlin was the best. I haven't posted about his passing because I couldn't think of anything to say that would adequately express his importance to this nation. First Tim Russert, now this. Both were men of uncommon courage, intelligence, and insight. Two national treasures in their respective purviews, gone in less than a month. Had they lived to be 200, their passing would still have been too soon.

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

RichardDawkins.net