Monday, January 03, 2005

SNAVE'S 2004 MOVIE THOUGHTS

I live in a small town where we don't get a wide variety of movies at the local theater... plus, I don't get to the theater that often. So, with that in mind...

Best movies I watched in 2004 (in the theaters or at home on DVD):
9. Fahrenheit 9-11
: Why all the angry reactions to this film? It is just one guy’s take on the sorry state of our foreign policy and our administration. He may be self-aggrandizing, but he doesn’t hide what he’s trying to do. And what he says in the film is worth listening to, in my opinion.
8. Master and Commander: I love this sea epic!
7. Shrek 2: Hilarious fun, great animation, enjoyable characters. I am a cat owner, so the hairball scene was especially nice. Also, the fellow with the hook singing and playing a Nick Cave piano song is wonderfully done.
6. Pirates of the Caribbean: Johnny Depp. ‘Nuff said!
5. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: I liked the first two Potter films, but I found them to be a bit stiff. This one has a more relaxed feel, and is more artfully done.
4. Kill Bill Vol. 2: Slower than Vol. 1, and a bit less bloody… but still good Tarentino.
3. Kill Bill Vol. 1: Spraying showers of blood, impossible fight sequences, good lines. Uma Thurman is Superwoman!
2. Bad Santa: Billy Bob is cast incredibly well in this one. The scene in the department store where he dukes out the display animal is priceless. Lots of dark humor here!
1. Return of the King: I’m a fan of the Rings trilogy in book form (I’ve read it four times, and I get it out again every 8-10 years) and I think Peter Jackson did better than anyone could have at capturing the essence of the stories. Great visuals, good acting. I think it deserves every award it received.

Five movies I didn’t see in 2004 (but plan to see sooner or later):
The Passion of the Christ: As an agnostic type, I really just wasn’t interested. I know the story, and I know Jesus suffered. Although I’m sure Mel Gibson did a fine job making the movie, I doubt that he gave people anything new with this film. I’m sure the book is better than the movie. Just the same, I will watch it eventually.
Sideways: I hear nothing but good things about this one.
Million Dollar Baby: I have always liked Clint Eastwood as an actor, but I almost like him better as a director. I’ll get to see him in both roles in this movie.
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: My kids both liked this one, and I believe Jim Carrey is a pretty talented guy.
Shaun of the Dead: Humorous carnage? Is that an oxymoron? I don’t think it necessarily has to be. I’m looking forward to watching this one.

A couple of films I saw but didn’t enjoy:
Oceans 12
: I didn’t care for the story, I thought the beginning of the film was fairly cartoonish (bad guy visiting each member of the gang individually), and the whole thing seemed to drag. And when it dragged, the characters would engage in unnecessary banter in a vain attempt to recapture the magic of the first movie, ”Ocean’s 11” (which I loved).
The Village: I sort of liked this one and sort of didn’t. As usual, Shamalayan has a good premise… but I found the “twist” in this film to be pretty predictable.


6 Comments:

Blogger Jim Marquis said...

I really liked the way "The Village" looked but I have to agree the twist just wasn't worth the buildup. I loved "The Sixth Sense" and "Signs" but found "Unbreakable" and "The Village" really aggravating.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Snave said...

I think I ought to pre-empt those who might doubt if I've actually read the book in question in my comment about "The Passion Of The Christ". In fact I've read it cover to cover three times, and certain sections of it many times. Enough to know about it, anyway.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Snave said...

I haven't seen "Van Helsing" yet. For Kate? I might have to consider checking it out!

I will admit another reason I like "Pirates of the Caribbean" is that I enjoy watching Keira Knightley (I think that's her name). Drool! Simper! I just have to keep reminding myself I am about 2.61 times as old as she is.

But I am a big Johnny Depp fan. My favorite with him is "Dead Man".

3:06 PM  
Blogger Jim Marquis said...

I thought Van Helsing was good, mindless fun. The flying vampire women were especially cool. And Kate Beckinsdale was hot in her leather getup. Actually,I thought she was even hotter in Underworld (it's a movie about a war between vampires and werewolves).

5:14 PM  
Blogger Damien said...

Damn man, I missed the Village and have the DVD in my car at the moment...should have checked your site earlier. Mind you anything looks good on a projector.

Kill Bill Vol 2 was my biggest bust of 2004, Q needs to stop doing the whole homage thing. Can't remember the name of the actor that played the cop (Vol 1) and the Mexican Pimp (Vol 2), outstanding actor. Almost up there with Chris Walken.

Looking forward to the final installment of star wars though, I thought I saw a wookie or two.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Snave said...

Ahhhh, Star Wars! I loved the first three films (episodes 4-6) and so far I don't mind the most recent films. About the only thing I disliked about Episode One was Jar-Jar. I thought Liam Neeson was great in his role, and Ewan McGregor was good in his role too. Episode Two was also nice to look at, a bit thin on plot, but still very entertaining. I'm salivating for Episode Three! Will they do parts 7-9? It seems as if they would be less restricted as to what they could do with the story, since they wouldn't be limited to mainly showing us the history of Darth Vader.

I just have to face facts: If it has to do with Star Wars, Lord Of The Rings or Indiana Jones... I am a geek about it.

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

RichardDawkins.net