Friday, June 27, 2008

R.I.P. BONNIE, 1992-2008

With the veterinarian's office being closed tomorrow and Sunday, and with me being out of town Sunday through Tuesday and not being able to take Bonnie to the vet's until next Wednesday afternoon, I opted to take her in today to be euthanized. She had stopped eating during the past couple of days, had lost her ability to conserve heat, was mostly just a bag of bones wandering around in a daze... so sadly, it was her time to go.

I was with her the whole time, and cried into her fur for about five minutes after the vet gave her the shot in her hind leg. I haven't cried this much in a while, but I know I did her a favor instead of letting things get worse for her over the weekend.

Regretfully, after I got back from the vet I had to go help our band set up for a show we did this evening. I lost my music somewhere during the last couple of weeks, and had to print up about 25 lyric sheets just before we played. With all the afternoon's sobbing and crying and with the images of Bonnie in my mind, I played and sang terribly. My voice was shot after the first few songs, and then I just gutted it out for the rest of the show.

I'll probably take some time from the blog during the next few days, but I will be back around the middle of next week.

12 Comments:

Blogger Demeur said...

That's really hard. I know I'll miss my cat when she goes. I think she's part dog. She waits at the door when I get home. Sleeps at my feet. But like most cats always likes to curl up in your lap at nap time.

Well we know Bonnie's chasing moths in a better place now.

10:48 PM  
Blogger Snave said...

Thanks Demeur, Bonnie was indeed a moth chaser, and a notorious chaser of crane flies as well!

One of our young cats is very doglike in that she plays "fetch" with her toy mice and her little pom-poms. She will bring us a toy and drop it at our feet, we throw it for her, she brings it back, drops it, makes a little chirping or whirring noise, and we throw it for her again.

The animals at our house get treated as family members. I know that may seem odd to some people, but I have always known that if I give the animals some of myself, they always give me some of themselves in return. They seem to take on personalities of their own, and this enriches their lives as well as mine. Adding that to the unconditional love they give me, and the thought of doing anything less than my very best for them is unconscionable. They really are like family to me, and that is what makes something like this so difficult... Bonnie was a member of our family for 15 years.

I'm happy that she won't suffer, but I am going to miss her like crazy.

11:33 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Sorry for your loss. I know how painful this is. We went through that same thing about 5 months ago, putting one of our family members (yes, it was "just a cat") to sleep.

I hope our cat (Jazzbeau) and Bonnie are chasing moths together in a better place.

12:00 AM  
Blogger Distributorcap said...

i am sorry for your loss --- losing a pet is never ever easy ---- but you did the right thing. they are part (and in some ways even more a part) of your family

i know she is resting well.... you are a good soul and bonnie knew it

i am having the same issues with george now -- he is not eating and getting very lax and i fear giving up. it is tearing me up.

there is no such thing as "just a pet"

(let me go hug george right now and bring him to his food again)

3:56 AM  
Blogger American Hill BIlly said...

Dude, that sucks. I am glad you took her suffering away. She is in the next realm, and doing fine. All animals have a higher spiritual rating than we people. She is fine.

My Regards and Peace

1:30 PM  
Blogger lovehog said...

You did the right thing Snave. I know it's tough but She knows how much that you Loved her. Take Care!

1:10 AM  
Blogger Jim Marquis said...

Sorry to hear that, Snave. You definitely did the right thing, I'm glad she's not suffering anymore.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Lew Scannon said...

I have had to do that a few years back, to my beloved Findo. It's a hard decision to make, but also makes me wonder why it's okay to show mercy for animals who are suffering, but not humans.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Terence Towles Canote said...

You have my condolences, Snave. I know how hard it can be to lose a feline friend, especially one you've known for a long time!

5:37 PM  
Blogger Mauigirl said...

Oh Snave, I'm so sorry about Bonnie. It's so hard to let them go, but it was the kindest thing for her. It's so sad that our feline (and canine) family members don't live as long as we do...

8:27 PM  
Blogger Randal Graves said...

Sorry to hear this. Few things are tougher.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Snave said...

Thanks all, she was indeed a good little girl!

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

RichardDawkins.net