Wednesday, June 02, 2010

SO LONG, JUNIOR

It was probably past time for Ken Griffey, Jr. to retire from baseball, but I am glad he did. He was not contributing to the ballclub this year when it came to what he is most known for... hitting. Watching Junior flail at the plate was as sad for me as it was seeing another of my favorite players, Willie Mays, fumbling flyballs and batting about .210 in his final days with the New York Mets.

The Mariners are historically a sad major league baseball franchise, but Ken Griffey, Jr. gave the franchise a face, a sense of respectability.

Now the Mariners can look to find a player who can contribute THIS season, but it is hard to measure how much Griffey contributed to the team in earlier times.

Good bye Junior, we will miss you!

4 Comments:

Blogger Jim Marquis said...

Yeah, I agree with what you said. He's had a good run but it's time to let the younger guys take over.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Darrell Michaels said...

Sad, but I share your sentiments here, Snave.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Randal Graves said...

Now he's got all the time in the world to take a nap.

10:08 AM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

With 50 being the new 30 (or whatever the numbers are), I would have thought 40 would be too young for a baseball player to retire. I don't know if there are many (or any) 40-year-olds playing now, since I don't follow sports.

I used to follow baseball a long time ago, and I remember when Duke Snyder was on the NY Mets; I think he was about 40. The announcers always made it sound like somebody's great-grandfather was out on the field. "The Duke gets a hit! There he is, trotting out to first. He's still got it!"

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

RichardDawkins.net